When Parents Disagree On Parenting

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by AngelaMc, Feb 9, 2017.

1. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

:)When Parents disagree on how to raise a child that's when the fighting begins. At some point couples start to disagree on simple things like how to discipline the child, due to the fact most families come from different backgrounds and were raised with different beliefs, which can lead to a lot of tension.:(

;)I personally believe that the main cause of of these disagreements are due to the fact, the parents are not backing each other up on decisions, when you don't do this it shows the child your not a team and will definitely start undermining your authority. No two people are going to see eye to eye 100%, but the important thing is to meet in the middle somewhere so your child doesn't get pulled into it. I was wondering what others opinions were on this issue? How do you and your spouse come to agreements on raising your child?:)

2. kamai

kamai Active Member

I am very thankful my husband and I do agree with mostly everything that has to do with our daughter. She is just a toddler and we both strongly agree to not spank our child but to talk to her firmly when she does get stubborn. There are minimal things we do disagree on but those are usually easily solved by giving each others point of view and we usually come to a compromise. All we want is for a our baby not to be hurt so we agree on teaching her all the dangers and teach her how to respect us by listening.

AngelaMc likes this.
  3. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

This is actually happening in some family. The wife is imposing her will on who to discipline her child. The husband when around keeps on intervening with it. He doesn't their child be disciplined on the manner which his wife is doing. Therefore, a rift on their marital relationship pops up. Bad, it would result to a broken home. The child is much affected for this misunderstanding. My wife and I always are supporting each other especially in training, educating and disciplining our children. And we have a happy family.

AngelaMc likes this.
  4. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

This is a common dilemma and I hear kids complaining to the stricter parent that they shall complain to the other parent if he/she scolds the child.

That's when one should realise that the kids can already see the difference in parenting. This is often seen in families where one of the parent has a distant job and infrequent visits.

AngelaMc likes this.
  5. moondebi

moondebi Member

Children are the tool of materializing their own dreams for many parents. Each one tries to overpower other to achieve that. And, this mostly happens when couples are not in unison.
    There're difference of opinions in my household as well. But, we try not to bring it in front of the children. They're pretty smart to take parents' dispute into their own stride. A healthy discussion can sort the issues amicably. After all, both the parents want the best for their kids.

AngelaMc likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Even if parents do disagree on the way they bring their child up, they should always be able to sort it out because they both want what's best for that child at the end of the day. We aren't always going to agree on everything, and when it comes to raising children I'm sure we all have our own different opinions on the matter, and sometimes that's a good thing as it means the child gets different perspectives.

As long as the child isn't caught in the middle of arguments, then to parents having different views can be a good thing, but only if they make sure that whatever they do, the child is the priority as it always should be with all parents.

AngelaMc likes this.
  7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

It's too bad when the parents disagree on something in front of the child especially if the issue is the child.I would prefer to discuss the matter in private between me and my wife to spare our child from stress. It is a big stress for the child to see and hear his parents argue even if the arguing is mild. What the child wants to see is the correctness of the parent's decision so if there is an opposition, it is best to be kept secret from the child.

8. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

This happens a lot and I think it's common for parents even though they have the same belief or they always agree with each other, but at some point they have different point of views on how to properly raise their child. If this occurs, it's best for the couple to talk about things to avoid arguments and misunderstandings. Afterall, they only have one goal and that is to give their child the proper care and upbringing :)