What's inside your kids lunchbox?

Discussion in 'Kids' started by Kakashi2020, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

IMG_20180405_154523_442.jpg I prepare school lunches and snacks for my kids twice a week, my wife do it the rest of the days. My wife always prepares rice and a meat dish for lunch and biscuits and chips for school snacks. I go for sandwiches like a big hotdog sandwich or a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch and another sandwich for the afternoon school snack with mostly sweet filling like peanut butter, strawberry jam and other sweet spreads. I always include a fruit, usually a banana or an apple.

2. tyche

tyche Active Member

My mom used to prepare rice and viand for me when I was younger. Sometimes she also prepares sandwiches and biscuits for me to bring to school.

3. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

We have been given a weekly menu guide by the school which we have to follow. On Mondays, we have to give them Roti and sabji (flat unleavened wheat bread with vegetable curries), on Tuesdays, rice, Wednesdays healthy snacks of kids' choice, Fridays salads and sprouts etc. This is to ensure that the kids eat everything from all food groups. So I usually have no trouble deciding what to prepare for the school tiffin. It works well for me.

4. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I have a family cooking manual which also decides what my child takes to school in the lunch box. There is no way my kid would have what he ate in the morning in his lunch box, I always have another meal fixed up for him.

If we took tea, fried eggs and bread for breakfast, he would likely get jollof rice and some fruit drinks in his lunch box. I try as much as I can to have him taking balanced meals for his health.

5. JiLLian

JiLLian New Member

My daughter is so picky. This is my biggest problem during school days. We always argue every morning about food. She doesn't want to eat vegetables. What she only likes is all about fried - fried chicken, egg, fish or hotdog. She likes soup though, so we always let her bring soup for her lunch. Her teacher would always say that she eats so slowly too. :emoji_disappointed:

6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Meals for the kids should be healthy and better if prepared at home. However, it depends on the age of the child because usually when they are 8 years old, they prefer to eat something fresh or hot that can be bought in the school canteen. And from what I heard, children now prefer ordering food from fast food outlets since delivery is quick and there are fast food outlets near the school. I don't think those junk food are healthy.

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

UK primary schools are very strict about what we put in our children's lunch boxes which makes it difficult for picky eaters. We would not be allowed to put anything sweet in the sandwiches, the fillings always have to be savoury and definitely no chocolate. The only drinks they can have is water. I know there have been arguments between some of the parents and the school because the parents are worried that their children are not eating enough if they put in the required food. One mother said her child came back with the sandwich box virtually untouched which meant she had not eaten anything all day and in the end she began taking her child home at lunchtime because they could not come to an agreement.

8. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

They say that hot dogs and lunch meat contain nitrates - but I think the practice is becoming less. Well, the Oscar Myer Brand advertises "no nitrates" and probably the other brands are doing the same. O.K., do you really feel children's lunches are not poisonous?

Well, anyhow, when I was a kid, I never ate the breakfast at the cafeteria and ate lunch every day - as in, it was cooked at the school!

It depends on what is ordered and the type of fast food. I mean, a burger might have a lot of vegetables - and assuming no fries are ordered, might not be too bad.