What do you think of surrogacy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by iamawriter, Jun 18, 2017.

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

I_love_my_2_gay_dad's.jpg

I can understand couples going for surrogacy if they cannot produce the natural way but what about those men and women who do not want to get married but adopt the surrogacy way to bring children in their life. I am not in favour as they can always adopt.

What is your opinion?

Image Source: commons.wikimedia

2. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Thank you for bringing up this topic, it always leads to interesting discussion. :emoji_relaxed: Before I start I just want to say that my opinions are just that - opinions, and that doesn't necessarily mean I'm right or that I'm wrong. I respect everyone's views on this issue, it's just something very important to me and one I've been pretty vocal about in the past.

We could say that traditional couples could always adopt as well, and in fact they'd have a much easier time doing so - even if other factors were less than ideal. Same-sex couples and even more so, single intended parents often have an extremely challenging time ever completing the adoption process. I've spoken with people who have waited years without any progress, and were told they'd be best just going the surrogacy route because this was practically the only chance they'd have of ever having children.

This is especially true for people who want babies or newborns, who are under more demand and exponentially more difficult to adopt for same-sex couples or single intended parents. Even private adoption is more challenging.

What do I think of surrogacy in general? I think it's a miracle that it's available to make these parent's dreams come true. It's quite an expensive process and anybody going through it obviously really wants to have kids. I'm thankful this option exists for them.

3. Dana

Dana New Member

I think that surrogacy is a great option for those who can't have a family of their own the traditional way - whether it's because a couple fails to conceive for whatever reason or because someone wants the joy of bringing up a child without the (stress) of having a spouse in order to do so or even if it's a gay couple - whatever the reason, everyone can and should benefit from surrogacy if they can afford it.

4. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Good to see you here.
    Your point about the adoption route being a difficult process is well taken. How about shunning marriage just because is also a difficult toute to bring forth children in that getting adjusted to each other is indeed not quite easy.
    In the ultimate analysis, it is so ordained that some have children and some do not And those who do not are supposed to devote their time to other pursuits. Bending backwards to my mind could have repercussions that would affect the child - a child that does not have either parent.

5. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Yes indeed. Having a spouse is surely a stress for many. Having said that I wonder why the institute of marriage came about. Also would a child miss either parent - and that will be the case - if surrogacy is adopted?

6. luri

luri Member

I am not for surrogacy, adoption is better option. It is good to adopt an orphan instead of hiring a surrogate mother.

LaCupcak3 and iamawriter like this.
  7. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

i c
    I cannot agree with you more although there are procedural blocks to get there but can be surmounted with patience.

8. moondebi

moondebi Member

I do agree. Surrogacy could be replaced by adoption. But, most of the people do not go for that as only rearing a child is not their sole wish. They want a biological offspring, and then surrogacy remains the only option. Here, the choice depends on the individual, and as far as I've noticed, couples generally do not opt for adoption.

9. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Invitro fertilisation can ensure this where both partners play a role. But surrogacy is one sided.

10. Dana

Dana New Member

I know what you mean, and as much as we're all for giving love to all the children who are already here and looking for love rather than creating more children, I think it is a personal choice and I do understand that some people want their own biological children for a myriad of reasons. I guess there is no right or wrong in all of that.