Unsavory companions of your teenage child

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Alexandoy, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I know that some of you here have experienced seeing your child with some unsavory companions especially here where prohibited drugs is prevalent. It is a parent's nightmare to discover that their child is into drugs. So at the first sign of drug use, the parents should take a drastic step.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  2. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I could write a book on this subject although when it boils down to it I have to admit my son had good friends and bad friends and he chose to run with the bad which is why his life took a wrong turn. Sometimes you can't blame it on other kids.

When a child gets to a certain age it's very difficult to control what they do and who they mix with. My son didn't always bring his dodgy friends to the house because he knew I wouldn't approve so it was some time before I realised what was going on. I knew his behaviour was changing but I thought it was just normal teenage behaviour. He had a drug habit by the time he was 18 and I remember sitting in my living room and crying for hours when I found out. You have this lovely little baby and you make plans for his future, try to bring him up to know right from wrong .. you never dream in a million years that it could turn out so badly.

3. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

This is still an unknown territory for me as my son is only 10 now. However, I am aware that there will soon come a time when I will have to be very careful and wary of his friends, he may or may not get involved in bad company, it is so far to be seen. However, even now, I keep talking to him about really mischievous kids in his school who intentionally try to hurt others occasionally and how there actions will lead to unpleasant consequences for themselves as well as others, how it may lead to criminal behavior in future etc. I keep telling him to look out for acceptable behavior versus unacceptable and how he must inculcate only that which is acceptable etc. I just will have to wait and see.

4. littlewitch66

If your son is a sensible lad he will make the right choices. Most kids do not want to get into trouble and will shy away from it. I remember feeling very uncomfortable around the popular kids at school who did outrageous things. I only joined in with them once by skiving off school and I was caught so after that I stayed away from troublemakers. Most kids are like that although my son was different in that he enjoyed the thrill of getting away with something.

nangk08 likes this.
  5. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

I too was like that and used to feel very uncomfortable doing things that were wrong with other kids. As of now, my son too is that way and I hope he doesn't change!

6. littlewitch66

My son was already getting into trouble by the age of 10. He had started stealing and although I thought it was just boyish behaviour that he would grow out of it just got worse. I can already see that his daughter is not like him. She is very honest,especially with money, as I'm sure your son is. If he is a good boy now the chances are he will stay that way with your guidance.

nangk08 likes this.