Thorough medical check up

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by remnant, Jul 19, 2017.

1. remnant

remnant Member

Toddlers should be taken for a thorough medical examination for early detection of congenital diseases. My sister's son had a hole in the heart and was only diagnosed after some years after symptoms started manifesting and remedial action was taken at a heavy price in a foreign country. Timeliness would not only save lives, but also on treatment costs.

Risa likes this.
  2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I am surprised with the department of health now. Unlike before when you only bring your child to the health center when something is wrong, now there is that screen test for the newly born. I don't know exactly what it's all about but one niece said that the baby is checked if it has dreaded diseases. And toddlers are brought to the health center as a continuation of those screen tests. It is yearly, I guess. That's good if the health centers would be doing the tests for free.

Risa likes this.
  3. Miches

Miches Active Member

Private hospitals in my country started implementing new born screening around 1996. It was only implemented by pubic health centers and hospitals starting year 2004 through the Newborn Screening Act of 2004. This has helped reduce death and disabilities from genetic, metabolic, and infectious conditions. It has been expanded in 2014 to include more metabolic disorders as well as amino acid disorders. It's great that public health care is finally keeping up with standard health care. Early identification allows timely intervention which is critical in conditions like mental retardation and other genetic or dread diseases. For couples with high risk profiles, screening can start while the baby is still in the womb.

Risa likes this.
  4. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

You are right there. There are certain deficiencies that do not show up without a thorough check up. It should be made mandatory for every hospital that even the newly born should be subjected to thorough tests before they are released from the hospital.

5. tyche

tyche Active Member

@Alexandoy, I didn't know that. I guess there really are new improvements under the present administration. It's good to know that newly born babies are tested for illnesses already, it will prevent any sypmtoms of that illness from getting worse as the kid grows up.

6. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

Ooh this really brought back a sad memory for me. I was in hospital with a lady who had twin boys the same time as I had my son. The birth was normal for her and her sons seemed healthy. We became friends and always kept in touch. One of the boys was always bigger and stronger than the other but when he was 8 he was found dead in bed one morning. It was Boxing Day and the only sign they had that something was wrong was he vomited the night before. They just thought he had eaten too much.

During his post mortem examination it was found that he had a hole in the heart that they did not know about. Although this was back in the 80s how could this have been overlooked? Surely a heart check should have picked it up. His twin, although the weaker of the two, went on to lead a normal life and is now a doctor.

7. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I always thought that the best idea was to maintain the same team of people or person of care throughout the ages of development. Of course everyone is different but I always felt that it helped provide some consistency.

Risa likes this.
  8. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I totally agree with you! Mandatory Newborn Screening test is significant in reducing the fatalities caused by congenital diseases, or those that infants developed early in the womb or inherited from the genes. I am also thankful my 3 kids had this test.

9. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

You're right and I share the same thoughts. The good thing about having a family doctor to handle your medical concerns is that he has a total involvement in the medical records and history since birth. This is also the reason why I have an exclusive pediatrician for my kids.