Taking Pictures of the Infant Is Dangerous

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Nocturnal Writer, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Recently I have come across from an online newspaper that taking pictures of the babies could put the baby's life in danger. That article has posted several images of different infant's poses which could possible endanger the baby.

Along this premise, how old is your baby when he gets his first picture? Do you let him pose in several positions? Have you not encountered any possible danger when taking your infant's picture?

baby sleeping.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

The poses are dangerous or taking the pictures? I don't seem to understand this. I can see the poses being sort of dangerous as the baby's back and neck aren't in a very comfortable position. Also, maybe the room can be cold and the baby's naked. They could get sick. Maybe the flash can hurt their eyes and cause them to have seizures?

Jasmin Cottontail and Decentlady like this.
  3. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

I am equally confused. I agree with all that have been said by @TheKnight.

They say the flash of the light if too bright can also cause retina/macula burns. However, this is very rare.

Position definitely needs to be comfy and I don't understand such a tiny baby should totally be undressed for a pic.

4. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

I don't know that the poses can endanger a toddler (as long as they aren't being held by the neck, dangled off a balcony or over a crocodile pit). I have heard that sharing pictures of them online can endanger them as it allows undesirables and people who target children to know exactly where they live. That's why pictures should be limited to friends and family, if they are shared at all.

I've also heard of cases where taking pictures of toddlers and babies saved their life, because there's a certain type of cancer that makes red-eye from the flash show up blue in photos. It is an early way to detect it.

5. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

The title of this post really gave me a shock.

I took pictures of my babies on the first day they were born, I never let them post in different positions, but only took the photos of them being however they were (mostly just sleeping). Even until now, I don't force my children to pose to take pictures, I just like to capture how they are in their daily life. I agree that we shouldn't stress on any poses especially for babies or young kids.

6. tyche

tyche Active Member

Can you post the link of that online news article? Because that would be so weird. Why would taking pics of infants be hazardous? Unless they were dangling it in the air like what Michael Jackson did to his baby, then I don't think it would be hazardous to take pics of infants.

AngelaMc likes this.
  7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

My usual advice to youug parents of a newly-born baby is to take pictures of the baby every day. That will serve as a historical record of the baby. Can you imagine the glee of your child to see his baby pictures when he is about to get married? With the dangers of taking pictures, I don’t see any risk or danger to the baby unless you place the baby in precarious positions for posing for the camera otherwise there’s should be no problem whatsoever.

8. Nocturnal Writer

The first time that I come across with this article I am also bewildered for I know there are so many mothers or even fathers who take their baby pictures in various poses. I read it carefully and it is indeed too dangerous to take infant's pictures in various positions.

You may know more on this particular link article: https://www.quora.com/Why-shouldnt-we-take-a-photo-of-a-newborn-baby

9. tyche

tyche Active Member

Well thanks for sharing the link, I guess I learned something new. The damaged caused by the flash makes sense, since the eyes and even other body parts of a baby are still very sensitive. I didn't know that it can even cause blindness! The mom must be aiming the camera really close to her face, that's why her babies' eyes got damaged. That's something people should be aware of.

10. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Thank you for sharing the link. Now I understand better why it is dangerous. Yes, I agree that using flash is not good at all even shooting at young children. There are lots of things we really need to be aware of when handling newborn baby, I certainly never think of taking pictures of them can be dangerous too, though I don't use the ways mentioned in the article. I think we always have to remember, baby or kid is more important, not the picture.

11. Nocturnal Writer

You are absolutely right that kid's health is more important. His skin, his eyes are still too delicate. They couldn't resist the effect of the camera's flash which emits light that may affect his sensitive skin and his delicate eyes.

This is a new information I have had learned. I have to admit that I have never ever thought the ill effects of taking the picture of the new born babies. Parents are doing this for they don't to miss all the "first moment" in the life of their baby. They take posterity pictures to amuse themselves and to let their child know that precious moment in his life. But sad to say, the effect is tremendous.

12. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

I find this really shocking as well :eek: I just attended the baptism of my goddaughter 2 days ago and there were cameras everywhere. I don't remember how many times did they took the baby's picture including her parents, grandparents, godparents and other guests, simultaneously and one at a time, most with flashes! :eek: It could have been bad for the baby's eyes, without us knowing :(

I wonder if you take a baby's picture without the flash on? Will it still be bad for her/him?

13. tony

tony Active Member

I didn't think that taking the photo of a baby can be dangerous well in honesty I disagree with that post. What I'd agree to as the danger is disturbing the baby unnecessarily to assume different post when trying to have a photo of them. With that said I'm not a fan of taking babies photos all the time, it should once in a while.

14. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I do not know if I would go that far, but I guess that any little thing if it is in the wrong hands can do a lot of damage. Just a precaution for everything is a good idea.

15. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

Thank you for sharing the link that went with your original post. I can see why it would be dangerous now. I used to take natural pics of my son when he was a baby, I never posed him in positions, just him doing his natural baby stuff.

16. tyche

tyche Active Member

I don't think so, because there will be nothing left to harm his eyes anymore as compared to taking a pic with the flash on. So take your kid's pics in broad daylight so that there will be no need to use flash anymore.

Jasmin Cottontail likes this.
  17. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

I totally agree with @TheKnight , this photo seems a bit dangerous because of how the baby is lying down. I can even see that one of the baby's feet seems a bit stuck. But as far as taking pictures is concerned, maybe we can say that some poses mustn't be done to babies but merely taking photos isn't dangerous.

18. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

Yeah, man I just noticed that foot. Looks pretty messed up if you ask me. Aside from that, look how small that cloth-looking bed is. The baby can easily roll over and hit its head. Where are the parents? Probably a good amount of length about where the camera man is taking the picture from. Face first too.

19. Zero

Zero Member

Parents nowadays are so inconsiderate and not well informed on how much risk they put their baby just to get a couple of photos for social media acceptance and fame.

20. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

I wouldn't worry about the baby falling though since the baby looks asleep, what I'm worried about is how the baby's foot got tangled. Babies still have quite soft bones which can break easily, I wouldn't risk taking a cute picture of my baby posing like this. Parents? I bet they're right beside the photographer watching how "cute" their baby looks like.

21. kamai

kamai Active Member

That is why I didn't go to a photographer to take pictures of my daughter as an infant. I have seen them take pictures of them in positions I would think are uncomfortable and also disagree with the fact that they are naked. I mean most photographs are taken in a cold room. I did take my daughter pictures but without flash and in any position she would already be, I think that's fine.

22. luri

luri Member

I don't think taking pictures of an infant can be considered dangerous if you do it wisely. For instance, you should never take pictures with flash, or use bright lights to lit the subject. Flash and bright light are dangerous for your child. You should also never try to place the infant in photogenic posture. Never try to make them sit for photos. You should take pictures of infant when he is in your lap or arms or sleeping on his bed.

23. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

I don't see any problem since there is the good being on the part of the professional who will take the photos and obviously the parents that will allow the work to be done.

I have seen some positions that I wondered how the parents approved of it being done... But, each head is a particular world. I can't see any reason to give privilege to a beautiful photo that could endanger the life of the baby.

24. tony

tony Active Member

Do we really need to disturb the sleeping or resting infant to pose for photos I certainly don't think that's necessary. My view point any time the child is awake and playing look for a good time to quickly take a photo of the infant if you need to have one. The idea of forcing them to pose for the camera is wrong for the infant.

25. ReddOnMyHead

ReddOnMyHead New Member

Thank you for sharing the link. When I first read the title of this post, I gasped in horror. I myself, take pics of my kids/family almost daily. After reading the article, I realized they were stating, that how you have to get those poses can be dangerous. I agree that some of those poses could be dangerous if not taking the proper precautions. Something that is news to me is the flash being dangerous. I mean obviously I knew that you shouldn't have a flash extremely close to someone's face, of any age. What I didn't know though, is that it could cause blindness. I guess I never though about it? Good post, definitely gives you something to think about!

26. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Like most of the comments here, I, too, only took my baby's pictures in their normal/natural poses. I never tried fixing their pose (only when they were already grown up and could pose when I tell them to). I've seen some of the photos from the newborn photography trend -- some of the baby photos are really cute, but with some, I cannot help but wonder what on earth they did to the baby for it to be in a certain position. I think it's kind of cruel.

27. Miches

Miches Active Member

Most professional baby photos are actually altered through Photoshop and babies aren't actually placed in awkward places but are photographed elsewhere. However, some parents may mistakenly try it at home and hurt their baby in the process. I can understand about babies not being exposed to camera flashes as even fishes in large aquariums or oceanariums shouldn't be exposed to them. Nowadays, you can take pictures without the flash so it really shouldn't be a deterrent to having baby pictures taken. Come to think of it, we've all been probably exposed to these flashes when we were babies and we've all come out safe, didn't we? Nevertheless, we'd all want to give our babies the best care so we'd be safe with avoiding or minimizing the use of flashes when taking pictures.

Likewise, though baby's bones are more flexible than those of adults, I still wouldn't be comfortable taking pictures of a baby in unnatural poses.

28. Mika

Mika Active Member

I don't think there is any scientific reason of danger behind taking pictures of a toddler unless you use a flash light which might bad affect on baby's eyes. Apart from this I do not see any other harm or maybe if you're taking too many pictures they might get restless and have a difficult time.

29. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Never heard about something. I guess I have to search about this on internet. Though I never heard someone got any problem because of taking pictures. Even I taken photos of my baby on her first day. I just take normal photos, I mean till now I never said them to give poses for photos. Though I will tell after she grown up. But now natural photos are best, and I don't think there is anything danger in it.

30. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

Is there scientific data to back this up? I don't think taking pictures of infants is detrimental to their overall health/wellbeing. As long as the baby is not exposed to extreme or hectic weather, and is not hungry or tired or sick, all should be fine. Maybe less camera flash can be used and of course dont turn the baby into a model overnight where you have to take 50-100 pictures per day from every angle. One or two pictures per week cant harm even a newborn.