Stretch Marks During Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by AngelaMc, May 3, 2017.

1. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

:)There are so many products on the market today for the expectant mom to use for stretch marks, I used Cocoa Butter during mine, and although creams, gels or oils don't remove them completely they sure do get smaller and much lighter, at least in my case they did. So Cocoa Butter was my stretch mark remedy, did you have a special cream, oil or gel you used? If so what was it?:)

2. tyche

tyche Active Member

You know what, I was never pregnant, but I have a lot of stretch marks on my thighs and calves, also on my butt, but none on the stomach area itself. They start below the stomach. I have always though that there is no cure for this and it's permanent, so I will have them forever. But since you said cocoa butter is effective, then I will give it a try to see if they will lighten and flatten. How long did it take for you to see results?

AngelaMc likes this.
  3. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

The best product recommended so far in my opinion is the Bio oil. I have personally used this product with no much results.

I wasn't aware of cocoa butter being effective although many of the body lotions that I have used had this ingredients in them. I did not observe any difference though. Although it could be just me.

AngelaMc likes this.
  4. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

Results aren't instant, probably a couple of weeks I started seeing results, such as them getting lighter and smaller. They don't disappear, but you can see a significant change when you use Cocoa Butter.

tyche likes this.
  5. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I remember that my wife has a stretch much on her belly. It is caused by scratching it for according to her it is itchy. So she couldn't stand that kind of irritation which affects her stomach.

I noticed her that she applied a natural oil of coconut. She prepared it manually. We call it in our local dialect as "lana" which is medically known as coconut virgin oil. Now those marks are no longer found on her belly.

6. tyche

tyche Active Member

I got curious if stretchmarks are really caused by scratching. I googled the topic to see if it's true. Apparently, scratching your tummy does not cause stretchmarks. Maybe it was caused when your wife gave birth?

7. Anne

Anne New Member

Maybe it's the other way around: the micro-tears in the dermis that cause stretch marks to appear gave her an itch. Micro-tears are not visually perceptible at first. It's not uncommon for people to feel itch when their skin is pulled to its limits.

Some people use cortisol ointments or simple moisturisers to make the skin less brittle and avoid having the initial stretch marks expand, but it doesn't always work.

8. tyche

tyche Active Member

Maybe, but in my case I have never given birth, yet I have lots of them. I am overweight though, but not that much, but unfortunately, my skin just seems to have little elasticity that when it expands it just creates stretchmarks. I remember that I also have them on my boobs, but they're fine and not noticeable unless you stretch the skin. Then you will see them "hiding" on the side of my breasts.

9. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

Bio oil is the go to remedy for stretch marks. The results are amazing! The stretch marks becomes lighter and eventually fades off. In some cases, it goes off completely and in some it leaves only a slight thin line.

Others also said coconut oil works. But I have tried Bio oil and it really works.

10. Kat

Kat New Member

I second Bio Oil, my sister used that stuff and she doesn't have a single one. She also used some cocoa butter and vitamin E oil. I think anyone that has stretch marks should give it a try, you just have to use it daily. My sister used it every night and days where she didn't have to go out.

11. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I remember my mother on this issue. She is a plump woman with 6 children, I'm the 3rd. After giving birth, I would hear her talking about stretch marks due to pregnancy. From what I had witnessed, she was applying Ponds Cold Cream after her morning exrcise. She said that exercise will erase the stretch marks on her thighs.

12. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I've Googled bio oil versus coconut oil and apparently, both works well with stretch marks. Not sure though if both are of natural ingredients. I would say go for the oil that is natural and safe.

13. Bani

Bani New Member

My sister had a lot of them especially around the stomach. She used to get uncomfortable in the house when she wore a top that was short thus exposing the stretch marks. Luckily, a friend suggested the use of coconut oil which with time proved effective after applying two times a day.

14. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Okay, now I'm really becoming convinced that coconut oil works wonders on stretch marks. Thank you for sharing @Bani.

15. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I just want to share about stretch marks and they are primarily caused by the excessive stretching of the skin. Just imagine a rubber band when being pulled and stretched out to its limits, it does not return back to its original figure. This phenomena also happens with the skin. It may be due to pregnancy, or in other cases like that of @tyche, might it be due to a sudden loss of weight?

16. Risa

Thank you also for sharing about the coconut oil remedy, since I have my own stretchmarks too. I would like to try this out soon. May I ask how often this should be done and how long can I see vissible result?

17. tyche

tyche Active Member

@Risa, I actually gained weight though, so I think the skin was stretched and hence the stretch marks appeared. But I'm not fat though when they first started appearing on my legs, the calf part.

Risa likes this.
  18. Risa

It might be a contributing factor @tyche. It has also something to do with the genes. There are certain people who are more prone to develop stretch marks than others. Cite for example, my sister in law and I both have 3 pregnancies but when compared, I got much visible stretch marks than she has. Well, quite unlucky of my genetic make up as well.

19. jasminemax

jasminemax New Member

I always used to heard that cocoa butter is a great remedy for stretch marks. But, I have never tried, although I use body lotions in cocoa butter variant to prevent stretch marks formation.

I would suggest you to try Bio-oil once. It is very useful in reducing pregnancy stretch marks. My aunt had used this oil during her pregnancy and it worked pretty well for her.

20. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

I am not sure but I have heard that ladies should start using product like bio oil when they are pregnant to avoid this problem. But my wife didn't and she is having this problem. So will such oil work with her too. Or she have to use some other product to reduce this problem. Suggestion of any home remedy for this problem will be great. Thanks in advance.

21. jasminemax

jasminemax New Member

Bio oil will work, unless the scars are not very old. I would definitely suggest bio oil for your wife.

naruto100 likes this.
  22. tyche

tyche Active Member

@Risa, I see. I can't remember anymore if my mom had stretch marks or not since she passed away already, but if that's genetic then we really can't do much about it then.

23. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Thanks. I guess she know about oil, but I don't think she has started using it. Yes its not that old marks, so I guess it will work and she will able to get rid of it.Let's see. Thanks for the reply.

24. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Most people don't like stretch marks, personally I despise it but whoever it's on her body wouldn't have kill herself because of it. I think pregnant women experience stretch marks because of their condition, I have heard a woman in my neighborhood say that using creams with aleo vera removes the marks, stating it worked on. I am not quite sure because I never asked anyone I know to try it out. Maybe I would have to google it.