Spare the rod and Spoil the Child

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Heatman, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I am of the support to putting a child under punishment or flogging him or her whenever they misbehave. This will be a good deterrence to such children and make them understand that it's wrong to do such things that they were flogged or given punishment for.

If you as a parent decide not to discipline your kids, I can guarantee you that sooner or later they will be very difficult for you to control which would eventually make them useless to both you and the entire community as most of them will turn into nuisance in the society.

So it's better not to spare the rod while training up your kid, if there actions and reactions seems to have crossed the limit, it's best to engage the rod or any form of punishment to used and reprimand them in order to show them the errors in their ways.

LaCupcak3 and Kieranlewix like this.
  2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I subscribe to this proverb. However, using the rod does not mean hurting the child. When we were young boys, a mistake would case a hit on the but with something hard or a hit on the head by an open palm. That was painful not to mention the embarrassment. We would cry whenever my father would do that to us. For me, the mere threat of the rod (can be slippers or a rolled newspaper) is enough to scare the child. No need to actually hit for discipline.

Jason76 and Heatman like this.
  3. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

It is better to threaten a child that you will flog them than actually doing it.In your case Alexandroy you have said that your father used to hit you with something hard and so whenever you heard the threat of the rod you would be scared.Both you and Heatman are right.If you don't give your child a sample of what flogging them is really like,they will still want to test if you can do it or what this flogging is.Children are very curious and will want to push your buttons and understand what this thing you always say you will do to them is.The pain that comes with the punishment is what will deter them from misbehaving again.

4. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuha Member

Well what you have said is true, but not entirely correct. I think the parent should use the rod as the last option, and this is why; First of all using the rod to punish a child, has a sneaky way of teaching them that the only way to solve problems if you are stronger than the others, is by hitting them. As a result, the bigger kids will always look down upon the smaller and weaker kids. Worst of all, it teaches the kids that the only way to vent your anger is through fighting and this explains the constant fights among children.

Secondly, you might create such intense fear in your child that they will be afraid of trying something new in fear of your reaction. This in turn, might cause the child to become weak and unable to fend for themselves effectively. Last but not least, we have had cases where children have been hurt physically and in other cases died, as a result of the "rod". Therefore, I think the rod, should only be used when necessary, but not always.

Mika likes this.
  5. Mika

Mika Active Member

Use the rod and go to jail... sorry but that's the reality today. I have heard so much about corporal punishment and its good or bad effects on children but I do not stand in favor of using a rod under any circumstances. Maybe you spoil your child by using a rod so spare it and keep it somewhere when you do not see it. I seriously believe that you can teach a child with love and affection but never with punishing him/her physically. Physical punishment is sure way of turning your child into a hater or disobedient.

6. LaCupcak3

LaCupcak3 New Member

@Heatman I totally agree with you 100%.

Heatman likes this.
  7. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

It's definitely good at the long run to subject your child to a routine discipline at young age, let him or her not call you the best friend at the moment but certainly when such child grows up at the the long run he or she would come to appreciate the benefits of what you did for him/her.

It's easier to correct a child's life and behavior when small than trying to do it at adult stage. Have them suffer punishment now and enjoy it at future time, then enjoy now and suffer for the rest of his or her life.

8. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

I think a lot of people confuse discipline with abuse. Abuse is when idiots attempt corporal punishment. However, though, there are plenty of them out there. :rolleyes: