Soothing A Baby's Cough

Discussion in 'Babies' started by AngelaMc, Apr 15, 2017.

1. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

:eek:Although there are a lot of cough remedies for children on the market today, Doctors really don't want you running out there to buy them, since they are not safe for younger children. There are some home remedies you can try instead, when your little ones up hacking all night.

Using steam is one method, I did this more than once when my son was small and it worked tremendously, just run the hot shower and close the door sitting in there for about 20 minutes, it loosens the phlegm and nasal congestion. I also used a vaporizer at night with Vicks VapoRub, that product has been around for years and works great. What are some remedies you tried when your little one was up all night coughing?:eek:

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I agree with the steam. What we usually do when we notice that a baby is coughing is to apply vaporub on the chest to unclog it with phlegm. And to further advance the curing of the cough, steaming the baby in the morning is preferred. But admittedly, even with those home remedies, the cough would still persist for a few days. Another thing to look for is the sweat. Never let the baby's clothes be wet with perspiration for it will surely aggravate the coughing.

AngelaMc likes this.
  3. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

Yes @Alexandoy the VapoRub on the chest to loosen phlegm should be done also. That's a remedy my mom used on my siblings and I when we were little. She used to warm the cloth and lay it over the VapoRub, I remember how soothing it was and it did help tremendously.:)

Alexandoy likes this.
  4. janemarie

janemarie Member

Vicks vaporub is brilliant for loosening the phlegm and helps them to breathe easily as well. That means they can get off back to sleep as sleep is a really cure. I hadn't heard of steaming until now but it sounds like it is a really good idea. My children are grown up now, but I think I will remember it for when I need to clear my chest.

AngelaMc likes this.
  5. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

Vicks and steam has been standard home remedies. The Vicks can also be applied on throat and back and inhaled too.

It would be nice to realise the etiology of the cough in order to further help the child. For example allergic cough usually results in a coughing fits as soon as the child opens his mouth to say something. The cold air worsens the condition and therefore in such coughs rebreathing cover can help. Cover the nose and mouth of the child with a blanket to avoid cold air and the child can sleep peacefully. Avoid direct fan/cooler or AC.

Warm soups and milk with turmeric also helps.

AngelaMc likes this.
  6. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I have no idea about the steam method. Thank you so much for sharing this. I wonder if it still works for kid who is older, such as 8 years old. My son has been coughing for quite some time, I would like to give it a try.

As for my kids, I usually just keep nursing them as much as they want and let them sleep. I also carry them almost all night long so they can sleep better. I haven't really try other remedies when they were still babies. I am glad usually they got well quite soon. For older kids, I always give them honey lemon or with ginger too.

AngelaMc likes this.
  7. tyche

tyche Active Member

AngelaMc likes this.