Snacks and goodies when a child is sick

Discussion in 'Kids' started by iamawriter, Jan 15, 2018.

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Whenever any one of the siblings fell sick the other siblings in our household also were not given snacks and goodies until the one who was sick regained health. We took it for granted and accepted this 'punishment' You as a parent or care giver would you agree with this?

'

2. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Even as an adult I still count on chicken soup to have some kind of healing effect, and I would say those effects are multiplied with kids. It might even just be a placebo effect but I will take it, and it tastes good too.

3. tyche

tyche Active Member

I think that is just right, because the kid will possibly feel bad that his siblings are getting a treat while he doesn't get one. So in the spirit of fairness, then I think it is but right that that should be implemented.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

We are on the opposite side of the fence. Unless the requested treat does not run counter to the sickness, we give in to the request of the sick child. And it's not a good idea for the siblings to be affected with the moratorium on the treats. I remember when my 2 brothers got sick of cholera, they had difficulty eating so even candies and chocolates were forbidden. But their request of native snacks were given to them. It just so happened that what food they desired didn't agree with my taste buds.

5. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

That sounds reasonable to choose those snacks that even the sick child can eat but at the same time not liking what the sick child has chosen could be a problem to deal with. I therefore feel the other siblings could wait for their snacks. I remember how concerned we used to be of the sick sibling and you very well know why (lol)

6. Natasha0717

Natasha0717 New Member

It all depends, sometimes the child is too sick to eat or drink anything at all (stomach bug).
    When we were little, and one of us was too sick to go to school, that meant we would get to stay on the downstairs couch all day and watch shows like "Gilligan's Island" and Brady Bunch...and the best part was, we'd get a little tray that stands up so we wouldn't even have to get off the couch to eat. Mom and Grandma would usually make Chicken and Stars soup, Spaghetti-o's, and then of course toast and butter on the side. But the other siblings wouldn't even be around to see or get jealous because they'd be in school anyway. :D;)

iamawriter likes this.
  7. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

That makes sense and great sense too (lol) When the cat is away the mouse are at play kind of situation. Good for you. If siblings can be separated the way it happened at yours all is hunky dory but that situation is not common and mothers have to think about what I have said in my post.

8. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

I have only a single child so the problem about handling the other siblings rules out for me. But, yes I have a tough time in keeping my single child away from all kind of junk and packaged food. I always have a tough time in explaining to him that all this unhealthy food will further worsen his health. Last week, my son ended into throwing tantrums when I refused to give him his favorite food. As a strict mother, I did not give in and he kept crying for over two hours.

iamawriter likes this.
  9. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Today's kids do not give up that easily. Do they?(lol) Many parents buy peace and give in at the drop of a hat as they have no time and do not have the patience to tolerate the tantrums for long Kudos to you. You indeed are a good mother.

10. amitkokiladitya

Thanks a lot for the compliment. I'm a kind of mother who is not easy to manipulate. If I say NO it is a NO. I want my kid to understand that when I refuse him something it is for his own good. A little strictness at present will bring me good results in the long run. All I want is a disciplined child.

iamawriter likes this.
  11. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Should there be any sick sibling, I suggest to go for the healthier snack which everyone can enjoy. It is indeed hard to forbid one and give the others. Usually, I go for fruits that they love especially oranges, apples and grapes. They also thought of them as a treat, so no problem of giving or sharing it to everyone. Fruits are also good for the siblings who aren't sick since it helps build their immunity so that they will not easily catch the illness from the other child.

12. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

It is not easy to be strict specially when it is not done in the interest of the child but in the interest of the parents. One therefore has to be extremely careful when this choice is made.

13. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I don't do that to my kids, and they know this well too. If they want to have those treats or enjoy those privileges, they will have to take good care of themselves, get enough rest, so they can get well very soon, then they can join the other siblings. I don't mean to take away the privileges as to punish the kid who is sick, but it's really good for them. For example, I usually allow them to play with water or in the rain, but when they are sick, I just can't allow them to do so, but I won't stop those who are not sick.

14. amitkokiladitya

I agree that being strict is not at all easy. Excess strictness can cause more damage for sure. But still, it is important to make the kids realize that all their irrational demands will not be fulfilled.

15. to7update

to7update Active Member

If one of my kids is sick and needs to be on a diet, I avoid giving good things (sweets and such I mean) to the other one in front of him, simply to avoid suffering without need. At the same time, as they grow older, they do understand they are sick and cannot eat it.

16. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

That indeed is a good solution but in certain homes that facility of keeping away kids from each other is not possible. We had to go through that experience and we did put up with it until the sick child got cured.

17. to7update

to7update Active Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. At the same time, I do live in a small apartment, and we don't have many space to go lol, so we also end up being all more or less on a diet when one of the kids is sick. Fortunately those problems kinda go away as they grow older.

18. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I think you just have to weigh in the fact that they might not really be thinking about their own sickness, but in some cases maybe they are. My kids were always pretty bright but still I feel they would sacrifice their own bodies for a good treat, in some cases.

19. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Each household has a different selection of snacks and fruits may not be included in that selection. Also there could be situations when the sick child is forbidden to eat fruits and may be just on a liquid diet. That is the time a parent has a tough time to have a level playing field.

20. amitkokiladitya

I love you point about avoiding suffering without the need. Yes, I agree that this is a big problem when handling multiple kids. It is hard to refrain others from eating and even harder to give them food on front of the ill one.

21. to7update

to7update Active Member

It's not exactly a big problem lol, but if we can give a treat to a kid without the other one seeing, better. I mean, the sick one cannot eat it, but if the other can we will give him, just without the other watching. :) Parents need to be smart!

22. amitkokiladitya

But I feel that this can appear as a kind of betrayal to the other one. What if he just sees or the other one tells him. This might hurt him a lot and develop his mistrust. So it is better to avoid or explain the situation to him and make him understand.

23. to7update

to7update Active Member

Yeah, you have a good point right there @amitkokiladitya, he can feel betrayed, so we are better not caught doing it lol. Depending on his/her level of maturity yes, we can explain the situation and eat those treats in front of the sick child.

24. amitkokiladitya

I believe that lids do understand. It is up to us how we are able to explain things to them. My son is just 3 years old but he clearly understands that there are times when I have to stop him from doing what he wants. He respects my decision and tries his best to figure out its relevance.

25. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I disagree with this method because it's unfair to the other kids, for me what's best is to explain to your kid that because he's sick he can't eat those snacks because it may worsen his illness. The parent can also promise his kid that when he gets well he'll be rewarded with more treats. Doing this would make the child feel good and would motivate him to get well as soon as possible.

iamawriter likes this.
  26. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I guess ideally you would not have to think about things like betrayal with little food items but of course we all know how the little ones tend to take these things. Being smart is a big part of it but so is having and setting principles and sticking to them.

27. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Seems a good alternative but it all depends on how the sick child would take it Not all children have a positive attitude. We as kids accepted this rule and goaded the silk child to get well. It was interesting to see us all so concerned to see the child got on their feet more in our interest than theirs (lol)

28. Mika

Mika Active Member

I don't mind giving up eating voluntarily in sympathy of a sick brother or sister but parents not giving to others is neither fair nor reasonable. After all the one falling sick would get other diet prescribed by the doctor but the others would have to perform their duties like going to school or playing in the open. I don't think other siblings of the sick child would like to eat medicines and food suggested to sick child as well as a punishment too :)

29. Miches

Miches Active Member

My parents never gave us snacks that were unhealthy or unfit for even the sick ones. Our snacks, though varied, were relatively predictable so they weren't considered treats at all but a part of the day's regular food intake. No one will take it bad if he/she misses the snack for the day because it can be had some other days. I do remember though about the sick sibling getting a special treatment only because his/her appetite isn't normal. Whatever special food the sick one may have was also enjoyed by the other siblings so there wasn't any issue at all.

Of course, there would be forbidden foods in some cases, but the sick ones are not likely to be jealous if the other siblings have them because he/she can have them, too, once he gets well. We all have taken turns getting sick so it was easy to empathize with the sick sibling.

30. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

Well, usually the sick child would be in his room while the healthy children in the living room or in another room, parents won't let the sick child see that the other kids are eating snacks. Usually parents separate the sick children from the healthy ones.