Smoking Around Kids (all the time)

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Jason76, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Some parents don't care. In fact, many objects to anyone criticizing their behavior - claiming the accusers are bossy (Well, usually they would use a much worse word.). Anyway, I find bossy people despicable also - but there are standards. In fact, I'd say this common behavior in some places to be child abuse.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

When I was a boy, my uncle would gesture for me to get his cigarette and lighter. I was 5 at that time and I remember there were times that I would light up the cigarette for him. And he thought that was cute so he tolerated my mischief. That lighting of cigarette was no big deal and I'd say it didn't affect me in any way that I started smoking when I was 16. However, smoking in front of the children definitely has an effect on the mind of the child.

3. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Apart from setting a bad example it amounts to passive smoking and the child's lungs are too tender to be subjected to such exposure. I fail to understand why anyone who does that objects if they are brought to book. On the contrary they themselves should know the repercussion of such an insensitive act.

4. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

Generally, in everything besides smoking, parents must always put their children first. The child's overall welfare should always be considered before parents make any decisions. This is one of the sacrifices that comes with being a parent. Some parents have even gone as far as giving up smoking or drinking or any other unhealthy vices for the sake of their children's health.

5. ABlessed

ABlessed Member

Smoking around kids is not good at all. The second hand smoke can really affect a child's health, but sometimes a smoker is so addicted to their cigarettes (or whatever else they're smoking), that the needs and well-being of their children come last and the cigarettes come first. But what can you expect? A person who smokes doesn't really care about their own health, so it is probably a stretch for them to care about the health of someone else.

6. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I smoke cigarettes specially when I'm on my writing break and often after breakfast but I make sure that I smoke outdoors and away from my kids. I know that second hand smoking is more harmful than first hand smoking do I make it a point to smoke away from other people.

7. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Most kids don't care. I know I didn't care when my dad smoked. It never crossed my mind. Nonetheless, and no offense to anyone, but people should have higher standards.

Possibly smokers are annoyed at anti-smoking laws - especially in the US - and I don't think an occasional thing of smoke will hurt someone, and also not a child (unless it's very young). Nonetheless, what I see is that smokers who do this - do it constantly.

8. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

Yes, from a physical standpoint, passive smoking around children is not a good idea- also passive smoking is worst for young people, when they breathe smoke from a smoker's cigarette. It can increase your chid's risk for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome,also they are of greater risk for respiratory infections as well- like bronchitis and pneumonia. It could slow the growth of lung development and give the child more of a chance to become a smoker as a adult as well.

9. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

That is terrible that some just do not care at all enough to go away from them. I am pretty sure that I grew up around smoke a lot but never in the same room or anything, and it seems weird to not make that effort but people don't really surprise me.

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I hate this. I don't smoke but my granddaughter's other nanny does (although she says she doesn't around her) and she comes back stinking. Her hair and her clothes smell and even clothes that she has in her overnight back which she sometimes doesn't wear stink too. I get really annoyed especially if she has a cough and I'm always asking her not to smoke around her when she visits

11. mildredtabitha

mildredtabitha Member

Parents or family members who smoke should do it far away or try to stop smoking.

Alexandoy likes this.
  12. Hova

Hova Active Member

We've heard of the negative effects of second hand smoking, so I'm not going to go into that. Kids are like mirrors, they will o the same exact thing you do around them.

13. Hova

Hova Active Member

We've heard of the negative effects of second hand smoking, so I'm not going to go into that. Kids are like mirrors, they will o the same exact thing you do around them.

14. Alexandoy

That is also my stand especially now that I am not a smoker anymore. Children should not be exposed to smoke not only for the so called second hand smoke but for the conditioning of the mind. If you say smoking is bad then the kids should not see anyone smoking otherwise that will start their curiosity and the probability of them to smoke will be there.

15. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I remember when I was a kid my father had requested me to light his cigarette several times. I obeyed him but I never ever tried to smoke it. I just lighted the tip of the cigarette with a glowing fuel in the kitchen and once it burned I brought it to my father.
    I never ever smoked and later I learned that smoking is bad to one's health. I didn't know that but I didn't smoke.

16. acebabe001

acebabe001 New Member

When I was a kid my dad will ask me to open his cigarettes for him. While opening I am able to smell the tobacco and looking back this probably led me to learn how to smoke. I started seeing cigar commercials too and this led me deeper into actually trying the real thing. Which I did and which gave me a head splitting type of headache that lasted the whole night. Im an adult now and I stopped smoking in my late 30s. I have never failed to tell my 5 kids never to try smoking. Thank God they never did.

17. Hova

Hova Active Member

You know what is funny and scary at the same time? The fact that the put a warning on cigarette packs which clearly states that they kill and cause cancer.

18. Hova

Hova Active Member

You know what is funny and scary at the same time? The fact that the put a warning on cigarette packs which clearly states that they kill and cause cancer.

19. SophieArnold42

SophieArnold42 New Member

That is a pretty bad decision to smoke when there are kids around you.

20. Alexandoy

I still see some adults doing that - smoking when there are kids around. Sometimes I tell them about. One time I saw my nephew holding their baby while smoking. I really got mad and told him that I was also a smoker (during that time) but I never smoked when there are kids much more that is a baby you are holding. I have made my point but for sure that smoker will not really stop because he doesn't care.