Should younger children have homework?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Jason76, May 18, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Some have argued that it is too much for them. However, I'm sure others think it's something that will toughen them up. Anyway, how about for older children? Do you think middle school students should have homework? How about high school students? Note, it's pretty much-accepted college students will have homework - even if the professor doesn't take it up. That's not even debatable.

2. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Giving assignment or homework to the students has become a controversial issue in the Department of Education. To settle this issue, the DepEd has issued an order for the teachers to do away with giving assignment or homework to their students. The order said that students should be given enough time for their family. They should be free from any school extension work. When they are in school, they are there to study and when they are at home, they are there for their family not to do their school assignment or homework.

Risa likes this.
  3. luri

luri Member

I don't think younger children should be given home work. Children spend 6-8 hours in school. If they are asked to do home work, that's too tiring form them. When young children have to spend too many hours in study, they will be turned off from education. For children learning should be fun and not a compulsion.

4. moondebi

moondebi Member

This subject will always be arguable as this is something which cannot be generalized. For some children, home work is necessary as otherwise, they will never do studies after school. For some, they will anyway revise even if are not pressurized (though the number is fewer). Children, on their own, will seldom sit for studies after coming back from school. This holds even more true when parents are not around. Studies, alone at school, cannot complete the process of learning. So, at least a few days a week, children should be given home works.

However, kids of smaller age should be exempted from giving anything as this might push them to lose interest pretty soon.

5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

Without thinking twice, yes. :)

As much as the method may seem "old-fashioned" I still believe that homework is one of the best ways to make children feel obligated to study. Obviously some of them like to study by nature, but unfortunately this not what happens to most of them.

The technology is there to help us... It can make the learning process easier, but it can never make it obsolete.

6. tyche

tyche Active Member

Is homework not a normal part of your curriculum? I remember doing homework when I was as young as 7 yrs. old up until college. I cannot imagine attending school and not doing it. I think it just makes the kid more studious and responsible by giving them homework. Maybe the curriculum differs from each country, I guess.

7. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Of course, we have to factor in - the amount of homework. Should a young child, middle or high schooler, college student have a lot of homework? I would say young children should not. However, though, as the age progresses, it could be different and - of course, there isn't any argument that college students shouldn't be loaded with homework - as people might accuse the college of being wimpy and/or a scam if it did not.

8. kamai

kamai Active Member

I have always disagreed with homework. I mean the students spend more than enough time at school as it is and implimenting more work could just be too overwhelming. I experienced that allthought I had good grades because I always did my homework it never meant I liked it. One year I did slack off in math class because I had too much homework from all my six classes in high school. I did recover though but it was very tough at first.

9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

We have here the primary school which is from 1st to 4th grade and the intermediate which is the 5th to 6th grade. For primary graders, I think a homework is not necessary. Why not give the child more time for himself. It is very early for the grade schooler to be placed with too much responsibilities. Some teachers give so many homework that the child is working on it even after dinner time. With the intermediate grades, I think they are already children of age who should start learning how to do homework. But not the primary graders.

10. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I think it depends what homework it is and how much time is needed to do that, but generally I don't agree young children have to do homework at home. I am fine if the homework is reading a book, doing some art work or working on project which can be done together with parents, but if too much academic work doesn't sound good. Kids nowadays have way too much homework, and I heard that some of them always do the homework until late night, then the next morning they have to get up early to go to school. Besides not having time to spend with family, not having time to play, some kids don't even have time to rest.

11. Miches

Miches Active Member

My child never had homework at nursery or kindergarten which, I think, is just right for them because they're just learning to adjust to the learning environment at school. However, when he reached preparatory school to elementary grade levels, he started having them. Of late, I've been complaining of the number of hours he had to spend doing homework. It's like school has taken over his life. He goes to school from 7:30 in the morning and goes home at 4:15. He takes a nap for two hours, have dinner, and do his homework/review afterwards. It takes a long time for him to do the homework because at times, his mind is somewhere else or he wants to go to sleep. I really don't mind homework if he has a shorter time at school but this isn't the case.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  12. worldsbestdad

worldsbestdad New Member

If it's past pre-school then yes I believe they should. Teacher wouldn't give homework about lessons they didn't teach, or at least never in my experience. If a kid is in grade school, then doing their homework should be a necessity as it helps them further on in life about being more attentive to their studies. They should be able to learn how to balance school work and gaming at an early age, especially now in this technological world we live in.

13. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

For pre-schoolers there should be no homework. What they do and are taught in schools is enough for their age. But for older children, I think a little bit of homework is necessary. It is not just about studies or curriculum only, but I think it is a practice to sit still in one place and focus attention on their work, a kind of discipline if you must, which will be useful to them later on in life. But there should be a limitation to how much homework should be given. The children should not be given so much work that they have no time to do anything else and are robbed off their play time.

14. D Lee

D Lee New Member

For me, even a 6year old should be assigned homework. It helps build a child's mind through the constant involvement in studies at home. It also helps him/her grow/mature fast since it requires responsible time management for one to secure time to get the homework done. Of course the young ones are assigned less homework according to their age/capabilities. I forgot to mention that homework chases away laziness. I can only think of positive results that comes along with assigning homework to children/ students in this case.

15. derf

derf New Member

In some cases yes in other cases no due to the fact that it really determine on how the child should be taught and what to teach them. If it were something like math homework than obviously yes to have the child to develop a broader sense of what it is. If it what something like art homework then no as it would not make much sense to have that for homework. It would also have to deal with their age and capabilities as a younger child cannot do as much as an older child. They should have some work as it would make them better understand the subject and make them learn about the subject more.

16. Gad

Gad New Member

I think it is alright for young children to be given homework. It teaches them to be responsible from the word go. It also helps them curb procrastination from an early age. I have a small sister and she is ever excited to do her homework. What is worth noting is that the homework should perfectly fit them and it should be friendly.

17. Mika

Mika Active Member

In most advanced countries homework for pre-school is limited to fun work including repeating a couple of letters or coloring few figures in an attractive way. They generally give homework on Mondays to be submitted on Friday and that's it. I am not in favor of heavy homework for any student because that prevents them from doing what they like doing most. A guideline probably to study particular chapter for higher school classes and light recreational homework for preschool and primary classes is enough.

18. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

We had it but would prefer no homework is given as kids are already tired at school They need family time. At the same time, they could get up early the next morning and brush up what they learnt the previous day.

19. Archimedes

Archimedes New Member

No. I want to reserve our evenings together as a family. No intrusive electronic gadgets. Just usplaing boardgames or outdoor.

20. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

There should be some home work. I am not talking about too much, because I don't like more burden on kids, but some home work for revision purpose is good for kids. Like this way they can remember the things they learned already. So for the purpose of the revision there should be some home work. But it should be limited so kids can give time to playground too.

21. Mika

Mika Active Member

Homework is another good opportunity for parents to evaluate their children so I suggest the teachers should give some homework that involves parents with their wards. Homework also keeps today's children off from screens for sometime otherwise children spend all their time in front of TV or on their phones.

22. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuha Member

First and foremost I think this word homework should be changed to something more interesting, because many see this skill development technique as a nightmare. Maybe then people will learn to like it. Well as for me, I think children should be given light homework, and one that they are likely to do in groups, maybe with relatives and/or friends. This is because, homework mostly suck because you do it alone. You feel bored and worn out especially when you can't solve a certain problem. But when with a partner, children will not be worn out and it can even breed better understanding.

23. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

Homework should depend on the age of the child. Young children below 8 should not be given homework as they are too young to study for excessive long periods. If at all they need some homework then it should be simple things like painting or sticking objects on a board. Homework for older children is fine. As long as this is given in moderation, there is nothing wrong with this.

24. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

I think study groups could be a good idea-and remember joining some once in awhile when I went to school-but most of the time I studied on my own. These study groups, I think could be a good idea for students-because it helps with procrastination and stops the student from postponing their homework. This helps the student learn faster instead of getting puzzled on something-they can just ask a question to the other students and get unstuck. You can also pick up from other students, new study techniques-and also being by yourself can be tedious when you have to sit for hours. I think this kind of learning,can teach you to collaborate with other students and learn quicker solutions to get your homework done-so you can go spend more time with your family.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  25. Mili

Mili New Member

In my opinion, I don’t think that it is right to give younger children homework. I think that the times they spent at school to learn are just enough. They should be given some times for their family and some spare time to play. They’re just kids. Let them enjoy their childhood.

26. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

Homework is a very big part of learning for children. The mind of a child is a very complicated one and it is very easy for them to forget stuff because any new thing interests them. That is why children should be given simple tasks to handle at home so that they don't forget their lessons at school. It is very true to that constant handling of these simple tasks will make it easier for the child to remember and understand which is the definition of education.

27. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

It depends upon the age and the amount and type of homework. For preschoolers, it is obviously a no. The goal for entering preschool is for them to enjoy and look forward to going to school and loads of homework would more likely decrease their interest on schooling.

For the primary and intermediate levels, homework should be based on its necessity. Is it to gain more knowledge such as reading or researching for an unknown topic or to enhance their skills, like solving a math problem? If yes, then a homework is acceptable.

However, I have encountered homeworks that seems like a burden to my son. Example is textbook copying. Why in the world would you copy what's already in the book, word for word? I mean he can read it from the book itself. I think this one's not justified. I'd rather let my son play and tell stories with us.

28. KloeRinz

KloeRinz Member

Yes, they should. After all, homework is a good way to reinforce discipline and self-learning. Sure, it is quite tiring. However, it also helps with training kids for responsibility. And I think it is quite great when children help each other with homework.

29. Merlizy

Merlizy New Member

I think homework helps in moulding a person's self-esteem and self control. It help in decision making on what is more important compared to the other.

30. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

In our country, even a nursery kid gets homework. REgular homework with regular studies is mandatory if a child wants to excel in studies. Many people condemn this. But, I believe that some homework should be given. May it be very short for say around 5 minutes but it helps to maintain a decorum for studies.