Screaming Toddlers

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by TheKnight, Feb 7, 2017.

1. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

What can you do so a toddler will stop screaming? She isn't screaming because she wants something or is angry. She's doing it for fun. She walks around the house screaming so I tell her to be quiet or shush her. After a few seconds, she begins again. Even when playing with toys, she yells more. I wouldn't mind it but her screams make my ears ring. I even tell her that she hurts my ears but she won't stop.

2. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

Hahaha :D I've seen toddlers who scream because they find it amusing (in any way), and I find it funny as well for as long as the toddler is adorable LOL :D I've encountered this baby once who screams and laugh after screaming, and do it over and over again until her mom told her to stop because it's embarrassing.

I think you can try talking to her or asking her questions or giving her food to catch her attention or give her simple tasks so she can forget what she's doing (screaming), I hope it will work :)

3. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

I think the only way to stop her screaming is to make her anxious and keep her busy in solving something. May be a new toy with a new texture or color may arouse anxiety in her. She will become busy examining it as a kid is always eager to learn and experience new things. Continuous screaming can adversely affect her health too as it can hurt her throat though it is not so serious in nature.

I heard that babies are usually fond of vibrant colors like red. May be she is screaming because she has a feeling that she lacks your attention and wanted you to spend time with her.

4. kamai

kamai Active Member

My toddler likes to scream for the fun of it sometimes but she soon irritates her own self so she stops which I think is so adorable. There are times when she won't stop because she is having so much fun doing so and what I do is pretty much letting her watch one of her favorite cartoons so she will concentrate on that and stop screaming, this usually stops her. I really don't go through this since she really doesn't scream to much unless she's throwing a tantrum.

5. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

I've seen a lot of toddlers who scream just for fun. Some of my cousins were like that when they were toddlers. And yes you can make them stop for a while but then they would do it again later on. Maybe giving them something to do would work, puzzles might do the trick since they would play with them for quite some time and they would be focusing too much solving them.

6. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

Haha! She irritates herself. That is cute. Like ''dang, that's annoying.''

I actually gave her a Rubix cube to play with today and that did the trick for almost an hour. She wasn't really focusing on making them match. She just liked seeing all the color combinations. I'll buy her other ones with brighter colors. I know there are ones that glow in the dark as well.

thisnthat and workingbuck like this.
  7. workingbuck

I'm not sure about the glow in the dark ones since I haven't seen something like that yet. But I saw this pyramid shaped rubix-like toy. It has lots of moving pieces, she would have a hard time solving it for sure but it would be a fun toy since it has a lot of moving parts.

8. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

Yeah. There are many shapes such as an octagon, triangles, diamonds, siamese, and any other you can think of. I think it would be a while until she tries them all out. The glow in the dark one comes in many different colors. She would like going under the covers and playing with it. Some people even make their own cubes. Rubix puzzles are good toys for toddlers. They can even learn from it.

9. workingbuck

Yes indeed, I hope I had one of those when I was a kid. It would have helped me a lot when it comes to solving puzzles. A friend of mine showed me how to solve a cube but I forgot how to do it. It would really teach toddlers not just solving puzzles but with their temper also I think LOL.

10. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Well this is a tough one to have to deal with over and over again, especially after some difficult days, but it is just a part of life. To be honest you really do get used to it to a certain degree, but once it is gone, it is a nice relief.

11. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I have a nephew who is like that when he was a toddler - he would be screaming with no reason at all and his screaming is usually coupled with laughter. So when he is startled, he screams, when he is angry, he screams, when he is happy, he screams. You can guess that he had developed severe tonsilitis that almost caused him his tonsils. With the sore throat due to tonsilitis, the toddler was forced to learn a lesson by listening to his parents when they tell him not to scream.

12. tyche

tyche Active Member

I guess she's not preoccupied enough with her toys for her to think of screaming over nothing. Or maybe she just wants attention or to see people's reactions. I think that you should make her busy to the point that she can't even think of other inanities. So I think you ought to just buy her a tablet or a cellphone. My nephews and nieces are all quiet and engrossed when they are using that thing.

TheKnight likes this.
  13. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

You're right. One wouldn't really like to purchase electronics for toddlers but sometimes, that could be the only option. All of her toys bore her and when she gets a new one, it only takes a day or two for her to get bored of it. I can't be buying a new toy that frequently. Things like a tablet, though, always have games or applications you can add to it so it really never gets boring. Not to mention that she can watch anything if we have Wi-Fi.

14. tyche

tyche Active Member

One of my nephews has an iPhone, and he uses it solely for playing games. I think that if you can afford to buy a cellphone or a tablet for your kids, then you will not be bothered anymore. Don't buy conventional toys anymore, since kids easily get bored with them. Buy them gadgets instead, and you get to save money on replacing conventional toys for kids every now and then.

15. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Toddlers seem to be hard to deal with especially their unwanted tendency to be irritate anyone or to go with the natural tendency to be undisciplined. What my wife usually do for our kids misbehaving is to give them something to get preoccupied and they forget ton show their misbehavior. To be specific, offer the kids something to work on or to play like toys, puzzles or have someone tend them. Give them something to eat nutritious foods. Or whatever you think is practical and beneficial for the kids.

16. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

How would you keep a destructive toddler from breaking a phone that expensive? I know that a phone like that wouldn't last a week in her hands. Do you have any advice to give me on that matter? I've seen teens break phones or tablets like that in a few days so what's the best way to keep a gadget together for at least a year? Not all toddlers are the same but she can break her toys in less than a week.

17. tyche

tyche Active Member

The kids of my cousins don't seem to be careless with their things. They use their gadgets with care. If she's that destructive then you better not buy her any gadgets. You should just buy her the conventional cheap toys for kids. Or buy her a stuff toy or Rubik's Cube. Now if she breaks that then that's not much of a loss.

18. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

If she can't handle a tablet without destroying it, what about a building toy like Lego or Brio bricks? If it is something she can build different things with maybe it will take her more time to get bored, and adding extra lego blocks is cheaper than all-new toys. If she breaks toys frequently, there is always the dollar store.

I'm not sure how old she is but if she has been warned several times not to scream and still does it, it might be time to resort to a time out or the naughty step. Sometimes giving them good things isn't enough, the bad behviour has to be linked to a consequence.

19. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

It sounds like she's bored, so yeah. I think the Cube was a good idea. There are other shape matching games and things like that made just for toddler's to keep them engaged. Stacking rings and stuff like that work too.

My kids always needed to be active too. Finding toys that occupy her attention should help.

Um, not so much for me. Screaming is something I could never get used to. Sometimes, they would just be playing, but you couldn't always tell if screams were real or not. It's unsettling.

20. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

@thisnthat Yeah. She's screaming sometimes then she suddenly stops for a while and screams like if she got hurt so we run to her but no, she's just playing. She scares us half to death sometimes so we can never get used to it. We must ALWAYS check because one of these days, she won't be screaming for fun. We always have to be alert. It's stressful. Nobody should ignore something a child does even if it's over and over again.

thisnthat likes this.
  21. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I think the thing to remember here is it is just a phase and she isn't going to be doing it forever however annoying it seems at the time. My daughter used to do this but for her it was attention seeking so I would try to distract her with something else. Screaming is normal for a toddler, when they're upset, hurt or angry or even playing but it does stop in time.

22. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Few things can really get your attention like this can, but then again there is a reason for that. The issue would be if you have one that is particularly prone to doing it when it is not called for, which I am sure if pretty common.

23. Mika

Mika Active Member

@littlewitch66 I agree that screaming and shouting should stop with time but what do you think is the right age when one should take it seriously or go for a remedial action? I know a couple that is facing this problem from their 6 years old son who doesn't take a NO for even a simple thing and starts throwing tantrums. The boy is otherwise okay with high IQ and talks sense but he hears a NO then he is almost always out of control.

24. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

I always try to appeal to some playful activity, making the child interact with me in order to to make them expend energy (as much as they can). I also use a lot of good old / new cartoons (preferably those very colorful and with very funny and noisy characters) and a bit of luck in my favor, I guess. :D

I usually get success and I can't complain about it. Pretty effective until today.

25. Zero

Zero Member

Well for Toddlers that's their only mean of communication that they are capable of other than crying, i always advise people to try and get the attention of the baby with something they previously enjoyed or showed interest in.

26. littlewitch66

I think each case should be judged on it's own merits. If a child is still screaming by the age of 6 he's gone far beyond toddler stage and would be at school. Is he doing it at school too as that would be disruptive for other childfren so I would definitely seek advice. Maybe the school would be able to offer help. My daughter did it as a toddler so I can't offer advice on older children who continue to scream. Certainly it's very characteristic of toddler behaviour and few children are doing it by the time they go to school.

27. Mika

Mika Active Member

The strange part of the story is that he is normal at school and with the strangers but when he is with persons whom he knows well then things are different especially in the company of elderly ones. As far I can think he does it with people whom he has at a better understanding or those who try to tell him something which is good or not so good for him. He is perfect at school and almost always gets the best remarks from teachers. I have noticed that he tries to behave like 'savior' out for saving stray cats, dogs etc and the limit was when he tried to save a trolley that someone has left on the roadside after taking his grocery out of it. He is very friendly with children but reacts harshly with elderly.

28. littlewitch66

How strange. It's normal for children to be more badly behaved around people they know and feel secure with. I am raising my 10 year old granddaughter and she can be most unpleasant at times to members of the family but people tell me she is very polite and well behaved outside the home.

Has he had a bad experience with an elderly person? They can be intolerant at times. Or maybe he senses he can get away with more when he is around them. I'm afraid I have no idea but he sounds as if despite this behaviour he has a kind heart.