One and only tooth, is it normal?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by naruto100, Sep 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

My girl has completed her first eleven months already. But she is only having one tooth so far. She got her first quite early but since then no improvement so far. My cousin's boy with same age is having 5 teeth already.

So is it normal? or I should worry about it and try to do something for the same. I am not sure if I can do anything about it, no information about it. So I guess this is better place to gather some information about this thing. Thank you all in advance.

2. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Hi @naruto100! I think it is just normal. Infants differ from one another, especially when it was about the developmental milestones they achieve. My first born has his tooth erupted by 6 months, while my 2nd one has hers at around 9months already. So I think it is not something urgent to be worried about. We just need to wait for it to come out.

Anyway it has additional benefits, since upon observation, my eldest had weaker teeth than my 2nd one. He had cavities earlier, since his teeth was exposed to food early on. My 2nd, on the other hand, has a complete set of cavity-free teeth at the age of 3.

naruto100 likes this.
  3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

One pediatrician told us that the baby's set of teeth is important. Even if those are just milk teeth, you have to be concerned if there is an improper growth of a tooth or teeth. But having 1 teeth at that age, I don't think there is a cause for alarm. Just continue with the milk and sooner or later the teeth will break into the surface. Good luck and I'm sure the baby will have normal growth of teeth.

naruto100 likes this.
  4. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I think it's normal. I remember my first two kids had their first few teeth at very young age, below 6 months old, but my youngest had his first tooth when he was 11 months old. Then slowly a few more teeth growing. Though it's much slower than the two elder siblings, I think it should be fine. The timing of development is always different for different kids. My eldest started to walk at 10 months old, and youngest started to walk when he was 15 months old. Some kids started to talk earlier, but some may be as late as 2 or 3 years old. Of course, it's still good for parents to observe and monitor the development growth, but I believe when the kid is ready, she will just shine.

naruto100 likes this.
  5. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Normal at those ages tends to be a little different than normal at other ages, but I would keep an eye on things and make sure to get it looked at or some second opinions. Being too careful is rarely a bad idea.

naruto100 likes this.
  6. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Thank you all for replies. I guess now I am relaxed.

@kaka... That sounds logical. My daughter has already started walking in her 10th month. And also she is trying to speak many things since last couple of days. So in other area she is growing really fast. But I was worried about her tooth development as she got her first very soon. But second one is just not coming out. Lol. But after reading all these posts, now I am relaxed.

7. BelindaMT

BelindaMT New Member

That was definitely normal you don't have to worry until she is 18 months. Monitor her tooth development and after 18 months and yet the rest of tooth does not break out then it's time to see a dentist or pediatrician. I think it is better that she only has 1 tooth as of the moment it means that the less she can get cavities.

naruto100 likes this.
  8. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Thanks for the reply, its informative. 18 months, then we still have long time. I was worried about it as first tooth came out in very early months and till now no second tooth has appear. But after reading all you guys, I am quite relaxed now. She is growing really fast in all other sections. So I guess I should be relaxed for this too. Thanks again.

9. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

It's a bit like walking and talking .. all children develop at different rates and there is a wide variation in how soon it happens. Some babies ae late walkers, some don't talk until later but in the end they all catch up with each other.

My granddaughter got her first tooth when she was 2 months old! She started to lose them earlier than her peers too but now she is almost 11 and all the other children have caught up with her. It's really nothing to worry about.

10. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I can understand your worries. Before I had my first child, I bought and read lots of pregnancy and parenting books. But now that I have my third, even though I don't really remember how the child development is, I am just too lazy to read the books now. I learned to believe and follow my mother's instinct, and I think it's a powerful tool all parents have. (I learned this when my eldest was young.) And that's why I am more relaxed now. Many of my friends told me the same too. They were more concerned and worried when they have the first, but when the third came, they were more relaxed. :D

@littlewitch66 That's early! I have read that some babies even born with the milk tooth or teeth, though it's not very common.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  11. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Unless it stays with just one tooth and no other after a certain period then it could cause you to be concerned. Till then relax and enjoy the look of your lovely baby specially when she smiles showcasing her one tooth (lol)

12. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Oh don't worry at all! It is quite normal. Some kids start teething early while some begin quite late. At least your daughter has one tooth, my son did not have even a single one at that age. I was so worried that I specially consulted our pediatrician for this same reason . On his first birthday, we saw two tiny white teeth begin to show up from his gums. They look so cute without them and even more so with one or two! :) So don't worry at all.

naruto100 likes this.
  13. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Thanks. Yes now I am relaxed about. Without single tooth at this age!! I could have consult doctor too if my daughter hasn't single so far. But now after hearing all these I am quite tension free. I was about to ask this to doctor during my last visit but I missed it as there was lots of traffic at hospital. But I was thinking to visit again for special this reason, but now I think it is not necessary for time being. Thanks you again.

nangk08 likes this.