Oil Massage, Is It Good For Babies?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by luri, Jun 17, 2017.

1. luri

luri Member

I grew up in a culture where oil massage for the baby is mandatory. When I had my baby, my consulting doctor said oil massage is not good for your baby. Contrarily, a doctor who looked after my baby in the child unit said I should give oil massage to the baby regularly. What's your opinion on this?

2. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I am not sure if this is something that I would make a habit of, but it seems like there might be some benefits. I would just imagine having to be extra extra careful, but I am not really sure why I say that.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I don't think oil massage is bad for the baby but I don't think it's good either. We use oil on babies only when there is a problem. There is a type of oil here used for appying to the tummy when the baby couldn't sleep due to indigestion. Maybe it is because we live in a tropical country that applying oil in the baby's skin would make it warmer and uncomfortable.

4. Mika

Mika Active Member

I am also from the same school which considers oil massage is good for babies and help them in more than one way. For one thing, if you have noticed it that babies always feel happier during their massage and sleep better after a massage and a bathe. Their skin gets better and we have a belief that massage helps keep their head and nose in shape.

Gad likes this.
  5. Gad

Gad New Member

I go with this. Massaging the baby is important. It ensures they get good sleep and that all parts of their tiny bodies function properly. However, there are the right methods in which the massage should be done. In my country, I have seen workshops that show mothers how it should be done. They even suggest that the mums should be accompanied by the dads. They are taught the right way to do it. One technic that caught my attention is how to massage the baby's face, mainly around the nose. It helps open the sinuses and if the baby has blocked nose, it relieves them. I also saw a certain doctor say that salad cooking oil is the best for massaging the baby.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

I've never used oli massage, but anyway, I'd rather avoid it.

I think it's not suitable for babies because they are too young to have contact with these types of substances (even though they are specific to them). Besides, I've never read anything scientific that would convince me to think differently. So, it's "no" for now.

7. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I like to massage my baby, but I don't apply any oil. I actually do not apply any oil on their skin when they are so young. I think they are still some unknown ingredients in the oil which I am not sure if they are good for baby. Even essential oil is natural, it's not suitable to use on baby.

8. Zero

Zero Member

I would advise against it , since as Kaka135 stated, there are a few ingredients that may harm their skin during the process so it's better to be safe than sorry.

9. luri

luri Member

If you massage your baby and don't use oil, what will you massage your baby with. There are products especially manufactured for babies, which include baby oil. If you can use baby moisturizing lotion and baby powder on your baby, why can't you use baby oil to masaage your baby?

10. Mika

Mika Active Member

Their are specific baby massage oils available in the market produced by famous brands like Johnson and Johnson which are considered harmless. As far @luri's query I can suggest you to use good quality telecom powder with very soft hands but only after the baby is 6 months or older. However the massage oil can be used after one month of the birth.

11. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I actually do not use any baby moisturizing lotion or powder on my baby, I basically just use my hands to massage him, and nothing else. I guess this is just personal preference. :)

12. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

The point is oil for massage. It is being used to lessen the effect of pressure to the body of the baby while massaging it. Rather than massaging it with your bare hands which may cause more friction and would hurt the baby. Along this reasoning, I don't find anything wrong with it. Oil is used to soften the harden dirt on the skin of the baby. And as I have said to reduce the friction of rubbing the baby's body while massaging it.

13. Mika

Mika Active Member

@Nocturnal Writer I agree with you that oil helps keep the strokes gentle and soothing for the baby's body but there are few other benefits of oil as I read somewhere that it gives him/her a boost in their central nervous system beside being good for emotional feelings. A soothing touch keeps a baby happy and helps him sleep more calmly. A good selection of oil (like Olive oil) keeps their complexion and skin also healthy.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  14. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Did your consulting doctor mention why oil massage is not good for the baby? I think there are some doctors or people who support one side, and some support another side. I wonder what reasons the doctor think it is not good for baby since oil massage is your culture.

15. Mika

Mika Active Member

16. kamai

kamai Active Member

I never used oil on my daughter nor messaged her unless she complained about pain of any kind. I think babies are too fragile to get a massage or even get oil applied as their skin is too sensitive. One doctor told me that if one massages an infant it can intervein with their bones growth. I started massaging my daughter at around the age of 1 and a half as she said her knees hurt.

17. trinale

trinale New Member

Baby oil is not something that should be used as it is a petroleum based product... But massage is wonderful. You can find many techniques in books and online (youtube is a great resource). If you need to use something, a bit of coconut oil would be good.