Movie Picks For Toddlers

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by AngelaMc, Apr 8, 2017.

1. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

Finding movies that capture a toddlers interest for extended periods of time might be challenging. My personal favorites for toddlers are the Classic Walt Disney Movies. My son was a big Disney fan, and two of his favorites were Winnie The Pooh and Dumbo. The super bright colors and the great soundtrack really used to catch his attention. What are some of your favorite movie picks for toddlers.
    image.jpeg

Jasmin Cottontail and josephen like this.
  2. josephen

josephen New Member

hehehe, I have to laugh at this as I remember how we tried to get our son to watch cartoons to keep him from crying when his mom had chores.
    trust me, its almost impossible to know what a baby wants to watch.
    am actually amazed that you managed to pick a movie for your toddler. I can learn a thing or two about babies from you @Angela

AngelaMc likes this.
  3. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

There are so many good movies out there for kids these days that it is kind of hard to pick, but of course this is better than the opposite. My kids love anything with animals so that makes it pretty easy.

AngelaMc likes this.
  4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

There is a wide choice of children's movies, and most of them are excellent. Just to mention some examples (which I particularly like very much): The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story, Finding Nemo/Dory, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland and The Jungle Book.

It's very important that the children have this cinematographic bond with movies like that I mentioned above because they end up learning values that they'll take for a lifetime.

Jasmin Cottontail and AngelaMc like this.
  5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

I have a little brother and he always watch movies and videos on YouTube. Since he loves watching movies, I always get him something to watch. Classic cartoons are always the best for me so I let him watch movies like An American Tale, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Lilo and Stitch, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Mulan, Anastasia, Aladdin and more :) I also let him watch 3D films and one of his favorite is Shrek :D

nangk08 and AngelaMc like this.
  6. Miches

Miches Active Member

I've tried so hard to get my then toddler son to watch movies that were supposedly made for children but I ended up watching as his attention is fixed on something else. You're right, it is a challenge to get them to watch movies for extended periods of time and after several tries, I've given up on convincing him to stay long enough to watch. It's a different thing, however, when it comes to advertisements. I guess most toddlers would prefer to watch commercials because they're usually fast-paced and have loud, persistent audio while movies take time to develop.

AngelaMc likes this.
  7. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

Well I suppose anything animated and not violent will do. Try movies like Finding Nemo or Finding Dory, Angry Birds, Shrek, and other Disney movies like Tangled. Well I think toddlers would love watching those since some of them have those scenes where the characters sing which might also help toddlers sing on an early age.

AngelaMc likes this.
  8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

When it comes to movies or even tv shows, I have noticed that animation has a special attraction for children particularly for toddlers. But according to one child psychologist, it is actually the music and sound that appeal to the young ones. So my best bet for a movie is an animated film that can be a fairy tale or plain comedy like Mr. Bean. I know of several toddlers who love the animated version of Mr. Bean maybe because of the voice of Mr. Bean and the sound effects.

AngelaMc likes this.
  9. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Our grandchildren love to watching fairy tales, make-believe movies in animation. Before they could personally watch those type of movies, we already told them and they are too excited in seeing them in movie.

You couldn't disturbed them while watching. They are terribly engrossed to the movie. By the way, we as adults are not also exempted of watching those animated series of fairy tales and make-believe movies.

AngelaMc likes this.
  10. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

Some of the older Disney classics are great for children if you are looking for live action films. Mary Poppins or Bedknobs and Broomsticks work well because of the bright colours and animated sequences which my kid loves. When he wasn't well in bed, I found one of the good things about DVDs is buying an entire children's TV series on DVD and being able to hit "play all".

AngelaMc likes this.
  11. trea

trea New Member

True! I still enjoy watching them until now. :D

Definitely Disney movies. I grew up watching them, but if I you want something from another country, try Ghibli movies from Japan. The top pick (the recurring movie mentioned by some Japanese people I talked to) is My Neighbor Totoro which is a really cute and classic Japanese movie!

But come to think of it, kids these days seem to prefer 3D movies? I remember a friend of mine who said that her son prefers watching Avatar to Disney movies.

Regardless, I think it’s also good to include animal-themed movies like Beethoven and 101 Dalmatians in the movie list. :)

AngelaMc likes this.
  12. luri

luri Member

Disney has all kinds of pictures for all age groups. Disney has pictures for toddlers, a kid or even a teenager. However, you should never let toddlers and kids to watch violent movies. These days cartoon and animated movies contain too many violent scenes. Violent movies will have bad mental effect in child's mind

Elsa and AngelaMc like this.
  13. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

So true @luri. Classic Disney movies are good for toddlers as they do not have violent scenes, although sometimes, it's difficult to get them glued to the movie. Toddlers are known to have short attention span so we should have an alternative once they become bored with the movie.

You are also right to note that cartoons and animated movies these days are not child-friendly. Some may not be violent but they display bad manners and language. Parents should be vigilant. On my part, I make sure I monitor what my kids watch on television and YouTube, and tell them to change channels or not to watch some shows that are not good for them.

nangk08 likes this.
  14. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

My son likes to watch all Walt Disney movies - the favorite one being The Lion King. He also loves to watch the Tom and Jerry show, Looney Tunes, The Pink Panther, Roadrunner etc. Matter of fact, even I love watching them. He also loves to watch Oggy and The Cockroaches - they are literally a hoot! I just love the silly blue cat! :D Another favorite is Zig and Sharko. I don't let him watch the newer shows such as Shin Chan or Doraemon etc. they are simply too horrible.

15. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

You're right, some of the new shows are horrible. I'm not a fan of Oggy and the Cockroaches though, I think it's too naughty for kids. And no to Sponge Bob either. I think it can make kids stupid because the show has dialogues and acts that are plain stupid, and I don't want my kids to think it's a good thing. Kids believe everything they see on TV or movies. They sometimes think it happens in real life.

nangk08 likes this.
  16. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

That is true Elsa! That is why I have put a strict time limit on how much he can watch and that too not every day. I have now started encouraging him to watch something else than just cartoon shows, something that he could learn life lessons from etc. Movies like Up, Wall-E, Cars etc. are something that I have kind of re-discovered and encourage him to watch them. They are nice movies with a message that the kids can understand and maybe, apply in their lives.

Elsa likes this.
  17. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

I had a conversation with my best friend the other day and we both agreed you can never go wrong with Tom and Jerry series. They are fully designed with toddlers in mind. They are animals children see every day (a dog and a cat), so they can easily relate to them. And the series are so funny, no violence, no foul language. It's just wholesome entertainment for children. My godson cracks up each time he comes visiting and I play a Tom & Jerry DVD for him. He laughs so hard and he ends up falling asleep right after each show :)