Kids and Wasted Food

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Jason76, May 13, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Kids waste a lot of food and food costs money. Imagine buying the stuff and then seeing wasted food laying everywhere. Also, it's worse when you get fast food for them. What can be done to make sure that kids don't waste food?

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I understand that kids don't finish their food and some kids even play with their food. When we were young, life was quite hard so my parents were conscious of wasted food. My mother would always tell us that we should finish what we put on our plates so the food will not get angry with us and go away. That taught us the proper behavior in dealing with food such that we only get the amount of food that we can eat and no leftover otherwise there would be a sanction.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

I think children and food are part of an equation that will never be solved.

However careful we are with the amount of food we put into them, they hardly end up eating everything (sometimes they even seem to do it on purpose, don't you think? :p). So, unfortunately... The wasted food is almost inevitable.

I always try to do my best so they don't waste their food (or at least they waste only a little).

4. remnant

remnant Member

Kids should be given lust enough me what they need and on more. If possible, they should be given less so as un minimise the possibility of wastage. Another thing is un feed them only when they are hungry. Its not always possible un feed them on what they like therefore its good to induce them to like vegetables and fruits.

5. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

There are underlying reasons or factors why kids couldn't consume all their foods though it is a common experience by every parent who seems to regard it as a waste of foods, a waste of money.

I remember when I was still supervising an elementary school with kids of more than 300 in school. The school has a feeding program for those who have been weighed and fallen in the category of severely wasted, that means undernourished. The Department of Education has come out with a national slogan on eating enough to avoid wasting foods for there are others who are craving for them for they couldn't afford to eat once a day.

In short, those kids are taught the value of conserving foods to allow others to eat. They have the right to live and to eat so to speak. And it is effective. In this situation you have had asked, it is the sole responsibility of the kid's parent to teach her child and to give enough food for him, enough to consume it all.

Jason76 likes this.
  6. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

This is definitely one of my pet peeves, but at the same time it is something that you have to get a little used to with kids. They just cannot always have consistent stomach sizes, but being good at making leftovers is a plus.

7. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

I found that giving him smaller portions and making him clear (or mostly clear) his plate before he got seconds helped him understand not to waste food. The rule that I want to use is the one my parents used with me: he has to try a little peice of everything on his plate before he is allowed to stop, and if he knows he does not like something he can request less of it, or ask for an alternative, but not none. We're not letting him opt out of his vegetables, but he could choose more carrots or beans for example!

thisnthat likes this.
  8. tyche

tyche Active Member

I don't remember us siblings wasting a lot of food when we were young. I think when we can't finish them, our parents would just give them to the pets, since ever since I was little we have always had a pet dog and cat, it was never without one. But for those kids that eat very little or who are very picky, then not fully consuming their food can be a problem if they don't have a family pet to eat the leftovers. I think a minor punshment for not finishing food is the best way to instill the vaue of food to them.

9. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

I think one answer might involve simply giving them less or putting whatever they leave in the fridge. However, in the second case, you have to carefully watch them while they eat so you can grab the leftovers. Also, a good idea is to make them eat at the table or somewhere similar where they can be watched better.

10. luri

luri Member

Kids are not very fond of eating. In fact they will be happy if they are not forced to eat. In most occasion, they will throw away food. However, kinds must be taught the value of food, they must be taught that wasting food is bad, that there are many people in the world who do not have enough food to eat. Parents must also make sure not to put lot of food in their children's plate.

11. kamai

kamai Active Member

My three year doesn't really play or throw her food since I taught her not to since she was a year old. Yes, she does throw sometimes but I do understand as she is still very young all I do is remind her and tell her that food is to eat not play with. In order for her not to leave much food behind I will just give her a small portion and if she finishes it and asks for more I give her the second half afterwards. Most of the time if she has left overs her dad or I will finish it up.

12. Miches

Miches Active Member

My son has a hearty appetite now but I also had a hard time teaching him to eat everything on the plate when he was younger. He seemed to enjoy doing everything else other than eat. He also didn't want to eat rice which is a staple food in my country. I didn't want to compromise and give him less food and food variety than what he should consume. I would give him normal servings and stay with him until he's done eating. Sometimes, it takes a looooong time for him to finish, but I would wait and make sure that he eats everything. He can't leave the dining table and do other things until he finishes up. In due time, he learned to eat his meals faster. Leftovers are a no-no for my family.

13. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

My wife's younger brother lives with us now, when he was still living with my wife's aunt he would eat up a a lot of food and he wouldn't stop until he throws up. So when he started living with us, we started teaching him how to eat properly. He use to play with his food especially pasta. We started by giving him small portions of food so he won't end up wasting a lot of food.

14. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

This is very sensible. I think sometimes we give kids too much food, because we want them to eat more. They either won't or can't finish it, so smaller portions makes more sense. Give them a little spoonful of everything and go from there. They can always have more if they want more when they finish that, but at least you don't end up throwing away a lot of food.

I remember my father making me sit at the table for hours trying to force me to clean my plate. I once fell asleep there. I was full and could not eat more without feeling stuffed or sick, but he insisted .We couldn't afford to waste. After that, I was very careful about how much food I put on my plate or asked my mom not to put so much if she were serving the food.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  15. tony

tony Active Member

The fact is kids will waste food if too much of it is given to them at a time. The solution to food wastage is to serve the kids small quantity at a time and give more if they are not satisfied yet. Adults shouldn't leave large amount of food with kids at a time otherwise when they are full they will roughen the remnant and that become waste.

16. to7update

to7update Active Member

My older kid is already 10 and he insists in always leaving something on the plate. It's minimal, so it's some glitch in his head that makes him do so haha. Sadly for him I am still his programmer and I give him the command to eat it all. :D LOL, anything harder than parenting?

17. trea

trea New Member

It's indeed very unsightly looking at wasted food all over the place.

I've been thinking of food presentation as a possible solution. Kids enjoy looking at interesting and colorful stuff and even us adults get persuaded to eat something that visually appealing, right?

And coincidentally, I recently came across this AJ+ video about a mom who uses fresh produce (yes, fresh produce!) to create her son's favorite cartoon characters. I can see from the video that her son enjoys eating those foods and even helping out in the kitchen because of it.