Is it оk if I plаy my musiс аrоund my 6-mоnth-оld bаby?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Terry, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Terry

Terry Member

Is it оk if I plаy my musiс аrоund my 6-mоnth-оld bаby?
    Wоuld nоn-nursеry rhymе musiс hаvе а bаd еffесt in еаrly сhild dеvеlоpmеnt? I dоn't blаst it оbviоusly.

AngelaMc likes this.
  2. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Member

Music conditions the mind of every listener especially soft and uplifting music. An infant couldn't appreciate the uplifting music or a nursery rhymes for that matter. It would be better to let your 6-month old child to listen to soft music that he/she may become sonorous or to a manageable offbeat music to make him/her lively while staying awake. Music has a therapeutic effect to humans, to animals, and even to plants. Do you know that?

3. Taliska

Taliska Member

Some people think that listening to classical music in the womb helps a baby's brain development, so I can't see that listening to it outside would damage a child. With regard to other music, as long as it isn't loud and you're not hoping to get the child to sleep, I don't see a problem. Hospitals even use music to sooth children and babies, so if they use it as medical treatment it can't be bad for them. Something too aggressive or loud like metal might be a bit much for them though.

The only thing to watch out for is the lyrics. Even if they can't speak yet, your child is hearing everything as he or she develops language, and you don't want them saying something entirely too adult as a first word!

4. James McAllister

James McAllister Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Absolutely! I think Nocturnal Writer and Taliska added good points as well.

Babies do tend to love music, especially the softer music. I love singing to them as well as playing songs on my guitar or piano. They enjoy it and I feel it as a bonding experience as well.

5. Binu

Binu Member

I read somewhere that music has a positive effect on human beings, animals as well as plants. I also read that scientists are trying to invent "baby iPod" so that the baby inside the mother's womb can hear the music. I cannot state the proofs because I read these news on the internet some time ago.

6. workingbuck

workingbuck Member

It isn't bad as long as the volume isn't that loud. And about the type of music, I am not pretty sure but, mellow type or classical music make babies feel relaxed and some loud music like metal would probably make them a bit hyper I think. Well I tried these music on my baby cousin and that's what I observed.

7. kamai

kamai Member

My toddler used to and still loves music. I had always loved playing my music and she would always dance to it and now she even sings along just I like to do. I don't see that it would affect children especially if the music is the softer type or even ones with a joyful melody.

8. tony

tony Member

Applying some senses, I would say if you must play music to your baby please make it a soft one. The child is still tender and undergoing development I am not sure loud music or too much instrumentals will be fine on them. Remenber to take care about their ears and eardrum.

9. Jester85

Jester85 Member

Conventional wisdom says classical music helps with babies' mental development, even inside the womb. I'd say keep it mellow and low volume. You don't want to be blasting heavy rock in your baby's ears.

10. tyche

tyche Member

11. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

I think it's okay to play any music to your baby as long as the volume is controlled so it will not affect the hearing capability of your baby. Psychologists say that classical music is best for babies but I don't think the have conclusive proof since no studies were made on that. To me, music is universal so the genre wouldn't matter much.

12. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

I think it is a great way to stimulate the hearing sense of an infant. The music however should be subtle and soothing. Their eardrums are quite sensitive and very high pitches make them uncomfortable.

Going little off topic here but did you know that even some birds can't tolerate loud music?

13. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Member

I think it's great you play music around your 6 month old baby. When my son was a baby I always played soft music around him. And if I remember correctly his Pediatrician told me to play low soft music while he was sleeping. :)

He enjoys music today and I believe it has positive effects, rather than negative effects on baby's, head banging music on the other hand I would stray from playing.:)

14. Holmes22

Holmes22 Member

I am not really sure of the science behind any of it, but I do not really see it as much of an issue, as long as the music is okay and appropriate. I would say none of that hard rock or anything, that might be a little much.

15. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

The babies I have taken care of were always surrounded by adult music because every day, people would blast their music and it would sound throughout the neighborhood so they started dancing sometimes or moving their shoulder. They're grown now and they're good. There isn't anything wrong with them mentally and physically.