How do you handle cursing in your house?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Kieranlewix, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

Nowadays, cursing has become an element of speech in every circumstance. When we are happy we curse and most especially when we are mad. It is easy to say that you will avoid cursing in front of your child but it is actually harder to stop yourself. Curse words are embedded in our systems so deep that they just flow out automatically whether we mean to say them out loud or not. How do you handle cursing? More importantly, how do you react when your child curses? Do you even allow cursing in your home? What measures are you taking to avoid or reduce cursing in your household? Our home seems to be very much affected by this because as at now, almost everybody curses when they are mad at each other.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Even before I got married, I was already averse with cursing and obscene words. In fact, I was a teenager when I had that resolve not to curse that I tried to influence all my close friends to do the same. In our home, cursing can only be done by me and no one else. At least that rule can make people realize that cursing is a curse in the home so we should avoid doing it.

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I would never curse in front of my granddaughter although I do have a little swear to myself in private if I am annoyed about something;). The unfortunate thing is not everyone is bothered about swearing in front of children so they will hear it at some time.

I know a couple who curse continually in front of their children and yet the kids don't swear at all. I always thought how odd this was but perhaps they correct them if they use bad language.

4. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Thankfully I do not have this problem in my home. I never curse neither does my husband. And thankfully, I live in an area where people are all educated and well-mannered and we hardly ever hear cursing, people might be doing it but not loudly and publicly, except perhaps occasional tussles among people who come to clean and take out trash etc. Sometimes my son might hear a curse or two by some of the older students in school and he asks me the meaning of those words. I just tell him that I do not know the exact meaning of those words but it is something very bad and good people never use such language.

5. tyche

tyche Active Member

I lived in a household that has no rules when it comes to cursing, so my parents freely cursed whenever they wanted to, and especially when they're angry. So as expected, we also cursed freely with no reprimand or punishment.

6. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Oh that is so unfortunate, I think! But now that you are grown up with kids of your own, how do handle curses?? Do you have any qualms using such words in front of your kids??

7. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I am so thankful that I have a family, a parents who haven't used to cursing. Everytime I hear the cursing words or phrases I feel or have the experience of having a goosebumps. Those words and phrases are not good to listen at, not good to use as an expression. But people especially our neighbors are used to that. I don't know how they feel about it.

8. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I think that I was always a little more strict that some others might have been, but that was also how I was raised so it just made sense. At a certain age it kind of just did not really matter anymore, which is probably the case for most people.

9. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

I can't help using such words when I'm with my close friends. But whenever I'm at home, you can never hear me say such stuff since my wife doesn't want to hear such words. Even when I was younger, I really can't curse a lot at home since my grandpa would totally unleash hell if he hears me.

10. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I was brought up in a family where we were not allowed to curse or even use harsh words, my parents didn't do that either, so I don't remember I have ever curse. I don't allow my kids to curse as well, I just remind them that our family do not say words that hurt or negative words, but as they are still young and they are not exposed to media, so they don't know about cursing too.

11. Mika

Mika Active Member

We had very strict rules in our house and the one using even the mild cursing words was warned and even punished for doing that. I was later told that sometimes use of the cursing words works well for release of mental pressure as it helps release tension and saves you from doing something really bad. However, I do not believe in doing it for the fun or as a habit. Mild cursing words are okay while sitting in a close group of friends but abusing intentionally is something different.

12. tyche

tyche Active Member

@nangk08, I don't have any kids and I don't plan on having one though so that question shall remain unanswered in this lifetime.

13. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

It seems like I wrote this:). Growing up, we were not allowed any form of cursing whatsoever. My parents would be livid if you said any of those words. I have carried that with me all my life and you will never hear me utter a single curse word, not even when I am with friends. I intend to pass this legacy to my kids as well as there is nothing positive about using swear words. It is foul language and should be erased from society.

14. Miches

Miches Active Member

Cursing is definitely not the norm in our household, then and now. Cursing seems to be more common in impoverished areas than in any other places and in homes where family members are lacking in education. My siblings and I never cursed even at the height of anger and that has been a strong influence on the way our children behave. Our kids don't think cursing is cool. Likewise, we never heard our parents curse. Fortunately, we live in a quiet neighborhood where my son is less likely to hear curse words and be influenced. He also goes to a small private school where kids are well-behaved in general.

15. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Oh ok! Well, to each his own! But I must say that you are indeed missing some really precious moments in your life which is experienced only when you have kids. Cheers!

16. tyche

tyche Active Member

@nangk08, I don't think so, since I see kids as a burden that I'd rather not have. It will eat up your time, money, and sanity, also your sleep.

nangk08 likes this.
  17. Mika

Mika Active Member

you should know that @tyche is not the only one that follow this philosophy of not having children but live the life as they like and I don't see anything wrong in that. I know thousands of couple, married or unmarried living together for years having their own way of living their life and do not see anything wrong in having no children. You know, if some people feel children are asset some others at the same time consider them a burden.

nangk08 likes this.
  18. tyche

tyche Active Member

@Mika, Actually, my bro who is now 40 yrs. old also doesn't want to have kids, it seems. He is married as well. He even split up with his ex of 7 yrs. last 2010 because the girl wanted to have kids and he doesn't. Now it's 2017 and he still doesn't want kids. So I guess we share the same mindset.

19. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

I must admit that you have come up with a very relevant topic. For me, the most difficult part was to impose control over my parents. They had a habit of cursing every now and then. Soon my son started learning them. It was then I had to retaliate and keep my son away from them. They soon realized but improved only a bit.

20. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

@Mika and @tyche, like I said, to each his own! But then I never said there is anything wrong in not wanting to have kids and seeing them as a burden or whatever. I know a few couples too who do not have and do not want to have kids. I merely pointed out that in spite of all the different kinds of burdens, pains, and what not, it is a joy to have babies and kids around. Some want that kind of joy, some don't!

Mika likes this.
  21. tyche

tyche Active Member

@nangk08, I was also told by my aunt that having a baby will make you "happy". How can it make you happy? Is it because the kid came from your own flesh and blood? Does raising kids make you feel fulfilled?

22. Mika

Mika Active Member

So who knows it better than me and you but that's not the case with everyone. By the way the topic was related to cursing and abusing among the family members which I am dead against of. I know most marketing professionals get dejected at times and utter certain words which come in that category and also I was told by my first manager that it helps one "steam out" to certain extent but that's about it. I prefer keeping my calm at all occasions and prefer not to use bad words. So is the case with rest of my family members.