Hatred of vegetables

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by remnant, Dec 16, 2017.

1. remnant

remnant Member

Toddlers develop a sweet tooth early. This is the carryover that leads un poor nutritional tendencies later in life with a liking for junk coffctu foods. Toddlers have this peculiar dislike of vegetables and some parents have un force them un eat them. How do you teach them un like vegetables?

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I also find toddlers in our home hating vegetables. No wonder because I was also like that when I was young. And I had developed my liking for vegetables when I was a teenager. So maybe the hatred of toddlers for vegetables is just a phase in the growing years and they will outgrow it in due time.

3. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/the-scientific-reason-why-you-hated-vegetables-as-a-kid

It seems like this fact is true about all kids, not just toddlers, and there are some scientific reasons for it. They include an inborn resistance to toxicity (Note animals have this same feature where they are resistant to new food until they tried it.), an attraction to high energy foods, and psychological association of junk food with pleasure. Myself, I think the last one is correct - and the others are mostly over-scientific mumbo-jumbo - but I could be wrong. What do you all think?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  4. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I don't believe that toddlers wouldn't like vegetables if they are prepared according to their taste. Since they are growing and are exposing to several things especially the foods that they are eating, their parents should expose them to veggies and tell them their nutritious value to their body especially in making them healthy, wise and beautiful. It is a matter of educating in the right time.

5. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

It seemed to carry on a little long in my family, but maybe that is a little more normal than I might think. It was always certain ones too though, and things like carrots were usually accepted.

6. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Thank you for sharing this. My toddlers don't hate vegetables, and they always enjoy eating vegetables raw especially when I am preparing the meals. But once they grew older, they started not to eat vegetables and I don't know why. I just always encourage them to eat a little vegetables together with the food they like. I also always cook vegetable soup, so even if they don't eat much vegetables, they still get some nutrition from the vegetables. They don't hate all vegetables, and my two older children have their favorite vegetables and parts too, so I just give them their favorites and hopefully they will like eating vegetables when they are older. I was quite picky when I was young, but when I turned into teenager, I started to eat many kinds of food.