Fear of the noisy new year

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Alexandoy, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Toddlers have the tendency to be scared of the sound of firecrackers. With the sight of fireworks, it is okay with them. To think that the New Year's eve here is celebrated with a bang, literally with firecrackers everywhere, what to do with the toddlers? We bring them inside a bedroom that has a tv with a loud volume. We also give them toys to play with and if an adult has spare time, the toddler can play with someone. That lessens the annoyance with firecrackers.

2. Mika

Mika Active Member

Firecrackers are rare where I live since we have other festivals related to firecrackers called Diwali when the noise of firecrackers is deafening and almost unbearable. Our government is trying its best to reduce the use of firecrackers with different actions since it becomes the cause of fire and pollution. However, we celebrate the New Year with all the joy and fun. My best wishes for a Happy New Year.

3. tyche

tyche Active Member

Those are actually good tips, we don't have any toddlers in the house now though, so it doesn't apply to this household anymore.

4. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Nowadays, toddlers don't have to get afraid of the bang or the noise of the New Year. The people in our place are beginning to stop using firecrackers during the New Year. Our government has issued an order that firecracker and pyrotechnics should only be used or displayed during community celebrations like fiesta, festival and the like.

Well for the sake of discussion, we tell them that the loud noise or sound from the firecrackers is nothing to be afraid of. It will only last a minutes or so. And we tell them that the people are celebrating it with explosives to welcome the new year. The people are happy and they are so thankful for the new opportunities in their lives.

5. Miches

Miches Active Member

I hate the sound of firecrackers myself and when my son was a toddler, we used to just stay in the bedroom to avoid the deafening noise which usually last for at least thirty minutes. Back then, people are wiling to spend for firecrackers and light them up weeks before the new year's eve. I was scared then that a firecracker might explode near me and cause injuries. Some toddlers like my nephews don't mind the noise though and enjoyed watching both fireworks and firecrackers.

In recent years, the use of firecrackers has evidently diminished probably because people have learned some lessons about its dangers and the fact that life has become harder economically for many people. This year, firecrackers were already prohibited but there are some people who still managed to buy and use firecrackers. The celebration no longer lasted as long as when my son was younger. Signs of the times, I guess.

6. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I haven't experienced this fear of firecracker sounds with my kids, they seem to enjoy the lights and colors coming from the fireworks, more than they notice the sounds. But I have seen this evident with my nephew and niece and what we do is to cuddle them tight and tell that its just fireworks for the celebration, so in such a way they would calm down.

Mika likes this.
  7. Mika

Mika Active Member

Most children are not afraid of firecrackers or noise created by them but in fact the noise and air-pollution is too dangerous for all especially for children. We experience a considerable increase in pollution level every year therefore our governments are taking proper measurements to stop the use of firecrackers although the results are not as much as expected. We hope the use of firecrackers would be limited to bare minimum in near future.

8. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Here, there are noise of firecrackers or fireworks almost during all festivals. Sometimes I don't even know what festivals some people are celebrating, but there are fireworks. I guess it's easy to get fireworks nowadays. My sons are not so afraid of the noise of firecrackers, in fact, they quite enjoy looking at the fireworks. My second child, which is a girl, doesn't like loud and noisy sound, especially when she was younger, so I used to hug her all night whenever there were firecrackers or fireworks. She feels comfortable when I hug her, so whenever there is loud noise, I just hug her or pat her until she falls asleep. I did the same to my youngest, who is a toddler now, when he couldn't sleep well because of the noise of firecrackers. But sometimes the noise just doesn't wake him up.

9. Mika

Mika Active Member

I agree with you that small children that do not understand the meaning of firecrackers but feel frightened when hear loud sound of firecrackers. However the children who understand the meaning of firecrackers enjoy them. But the fact is that most firecrackers are harmful, dangerous and may cause serious diseases like asthma and lungs related problems. We have more than 10 times patients suffering from such diseases after the Diwali festival every year and other side effects.

Folk Artist likes this.
  10. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

Yes, your child could get a bit of anxiety- because of the loud noises,and also the large crowds could be a problem as well- if you are attending these firework events,including New Years. Some children could be overwhelmed just being around lots of people- but also if he would like to actually see the fireworks, you could view them from a long distance. You could move far enough away,so that the child barely notice's the sounds of the fireworks-maybe a mile or further so they can enjoy the beautiful colors. You could also just put some headphones on the child, so he could listen to some of his favorite children tunes, while he views these beautiful lights.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018