Children at work

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Decentlady, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

With increasing number of working parents and lesser social support many mothers tend to bring theur kids at workplace.

Some companies actually have a kid's corner these days however not every work atmosphere allows for kid's presence.

What are your opinions on such a practice?

2. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I am a school head by profession and I have three married female teachers who have small kids. Sometimes they bring their kids at school. At first I never mind it and later I realize that it is unhealthy for a teaching classroom to have teacher's kids presence.

I call them up and have a short conference, discussing the presence of their children inside their classrooms, which would affect the learning of their pupils and also their teaching performance. It's good that they're amendable not to bring their kids to their rooms next time for in fact they've a babysitter respectively.

3. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

This is always a tough one. You want to be respectful and kind but at the same time it is a workplace and should be professional. There was actually an interesting story about a major league ballplayer who had this as a big issue and I think ended up getting traded because of all the problems it caused.

4. tony

tony Active Member

I support companies having a corner for kids, this is understanding on the part of such companies. Some mothers may not have a helper or nanny to leave their babies with while away for work so having this kind of arrangement at work places is cool in my view. Again a mother may want to keep attention on her kid or do not want entrust the child's care in the hands of another person.

5. tyche

tyche Active Member

That's actually a good idea for all the working moms out there, since if the kid will be left all alone to himself, then it would be very useful if the mother can just bring him to the office. As long as the kids can be safe in the environment, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

6. moondebi

moondebi Member

I could understand the plight of moms to leave their children back home while coming to the workplace, especially when there's no reliable support system behind. But then, to get something you have to sacrifice something. It is a mother's choice where the compromise should be done. Bringing the children to the workplace is inconvenient for both sides. Mom's productivity gets hampered and the child also does not feel comfortable.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

To be honest I haven't worked anywhere that allows parents to bring their children to work, or provides 'children's corners'. In the future then it may very well become more common and in some circumstances I can see why it could be an option. If the children are looked after properly and don't interfere with the work that the parent is doing then it could be beneficial for both the parent as well as the company concerned, but it's far from ideal I would have thought for the actual child.

8. Miches

Miches Active Member

I don't know if any company in my country supports having a kids' corner in the work place but I can imagine that it will mean additional expenses on the part of the company. Besides that, there's the issue of who's going to look after the child while the mother is working. Most likely, there will be problems about productivity which can defeat the purpose of having a place for kids at the workplace. Bringing a kid to work due to an emergency or unavoidable circumstances may be acceptable once or twice but kids at work may be a distraction to other employees or clients.

9. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

I don't know about a kid's corner in the office because children in the workplace can be disruptive. If a mother is going into a meeting and the children are in the actual office, how do you explain that they can see mummy but can't go to her? A tantrum or bad behaviour will disturb everyone. I have worked at places with a company-sponsored creche or childcare which is normally nearby but not onsite since it is an independent business. It is much easy to make those child safe and manage things like allergies than it is in a busy office.

10. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a good idea to let employees bring their babies to the workplace. The baby will definitely interfere with the work and the productivity of the employee will be greatly hampered. It is better if the parent would leave the baby to a day care center with caregivers that are trained to handle babies. If I were the boss of the company, I will not allow the bringing of children in the office.

11. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

The world is changing faster and faster, and raising children won't be off the list.

I mean, we need to update ourselves with the trends and if that is the way, we have to follow it. However, we should never lose our essence and our values because no matter how modern the world is, these values need to be passed on to children.

We have to live the world by being ourselves.

12. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

When my first child was a baby, I brought her to work with me sometimes. There are occasions where you simply cannot find someone to watch your child, if you're regular babysitter or daycare provider calls off at the last second. Since I couldn't afford to miss work (being a single mom at the time), I brought her with me. Thankfully, my boss was understanding about it, even though there were some tasks I could not complete with my baby there. I just caught up on other stuff on those days.

13. trea

trea New Member

If the company has a sort of day care room with someone who will attend to the employees' kids, that's all right because the mothers don't need to worry and can still concentrate on their work.

However, if the company doesn't offer that kind of setup, it's probably better for mothers not to bring their kids since it can affect their productivity. I know someone who brought her kid in her workplace, but eventually decided to just let her parents take care of her son. When I asked her why, she said that she couldn't focus on work because she constantly needed to check on her son even while working.

Ideally, if there is a real need for a daycare center in a particular place, I think the organizations around that area should cooperate to build one, and the government should also help because it's a social problem that must be tackled.

14. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I didn't have the chance to work at an office that offers a facility for child care or daycare. I salute companies that are thoughtful about the needs of their female employees.

I agree with @trea that it's okay to bring a child to the office if there is a child care or daycare facility. However, if the child will be with the mom while she is working, I think it would be disruptive not only to the mom but also to her co-workers. It would be best to get a temporary nanny instead.

15. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

I think it depends firstly on the nature of the job. Is this work environment even suitable or healthy for a baby to be in? This should be the first priority. Keeping a job or making a boss happy should never take precedent over a child's wellbeing.

Secondly, if the company has a baby care center for mothers or if the mothers job responsibity is such that allows her to be flexible, I don't think there's any problem in bringing a baby to work. But if the mothers job entails frequent board meetings, or scenarios where attending to a baby will be next to impossible, then the baby should not be brought to work.

16. janemarie

janemarie Member

It is a great idea to have children's corners so that parents can bring their children to work. It would be good if every large company created the facility so that more parents could get back to work after having children.

I used to work in catering and a kitchen is not a place for children as it could be dangerous. But larger companies like McDonald's or Burger King, for example, could easily arrange a corner to take care of the children.