Baby is not wearing shoes, what to do?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by naruto100, Oct 4, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Hello guys,

This forum is really great for asking anything related to my baby. I am getting good knowledge from here. So thank you all of you and to this site.

Now, my baby has completed 11 months. And after a month we are going to have her first birthday. Since a month we are trying to make her used to of shoes. But she isn't liking them at all. She is not even trying to walk with shoes. She just keep stretching out them and keep shouting seeing them.

I wonder how to make her used to of it? Any idea guys, or we just need to keep trying. I hope she will get comfortable of it till her birthday.

Heatman likes this.
  2. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

There are shoes that make a squeaky sound which tiny tots normally like to wear. May be you can get them for your little one. When it realises that it makes that noise while walking I bet those shoes will be the favourite of your tiny tot. No doubt those around may not quite like that sound but that is the price one has to pay in such circumstances.

naruto100, nangk08 and Risa like this.
  3. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Good idea here @iamawriter! You must try this one out to your little daugher @naruto100.

Little kids love wearing the squeaky shoes. Also take note of the size, if the shoes doesn't properly fit, kids would tend to feel uncomfortable wearing them. Same goes with the texture.

When my daughter was like your kid's age, I have the same problem with her shoes. Finally I found a variety that comfortably fits her tiny soles, and she likes it better to use open sandals with straps. Maybe it's because her feet has more room to breathe with them when compared to the closed shoes.

naruto100 likes this.
  4. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Yes, babies do like shoes that make squeaky noises and then there are those shoes with LED lights which shine as the babies take tiny steps. Maybe you can take your baby to a show shop and let her choose a pair of shoes, if she is allowed to do that then she will definitely like wearing them. Also, I think the weather now is too hot and that is why she might be resisting them as it must be real uncomfortable wearing shoes. With babies, you just have to keep trying and trying and live with the funny, squeaky noises!

naruto100 likes this.
  5. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I can't help it but laugh first at your plight but don't fret it, I have just the best suggestion for you. Kids not used to wearing shoes is one of common thing we experience here in Nigeria but they are just kids and can easily be deceived into liking something they initially don't fancy.

There are some electronic light shining shoes and even ones that sings once being stepped on the ground. Kids tend to love such and are easily taken to it. Just go get one for your baby and what her/him get addicted to wearing the shoe that you would pleading with him to remove the shoe because he would practically want to even wear it and sleep as well.

naruto100 and Kieranlewix like this.
  6. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

Haha! I'm surprised you have such kind of shoes in Nigeria too.We have the same kind of shoes in Kenya.I like what you have said,that children can be tricked into liking things that they don't care for at first @nangk08 It is also a good idea to make kids feel special and like they contributed in the purchase of their shoes by taking them with you to the shop.They tend to love the shoes when they do the choosing themselves.Children love small sandals that do not hold their feet in place.They love the illusion of freedom in everything and that is why getting perfectly fitting sandals for your daughter would be best @naruto100

naruto100 and nangk08 like this.
  7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I guess you need to bring your baby to a shoe store and let her pick her own. It's true that babies have an attraction for objects so if your baby gets attracted to a particular pair of shoes then that's it. And don't you worry if the baby wouldn't walk with the shoes on, it needs time to get used to it. But you have to make the baby wear the shoes all the time, better if having it on even while sleeping.

naruto100 and nangk08 like this.
  8. Mika

Mika Active Member

Looks like your baby has problem with kind of shoes you want her to wear. Try to change the shoe type, I mean if you are making her closed shoes go for sandals or vise versa. In case she doesn't like a particular color go for her favorite color. If she likes a particular design go for them and as some other members have mentioned here there are different shoes which attract children for the sound or lights they produce.

naruto100 likes this.
  9. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

I wonder if she can choose it. She is still just 11 years old. She just pick up anything and just throw it. I wonder if she will get one for wearing purpose. Lol. Still I will try..

Thank you all for your comments. Yes I guess shoes with making some noise or lighting may attract her as it will be something new for her. I will surely tryout that trick and hope it will work with her. Thanks again.

10. kamai

kamai Active Member

What I did when I first went baby shoe shopping I had my baby chose between several shoes and I would buy which got her attention the most. Babies are attracted to lights and colors so maybe that is the type of shoe you can get your daughter. You can even buy shoes with fun cartoon characters from shows you have noticed she really likes and is happy to watch. aAso like someone here mentioned you can buy shoes that make sounds which will help so much as babies are entertaineed by such things.

naruto100 likes this.
  11. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

That sounds interesting. But can you tell me at what age you taken your baby for her first shoe shopping? I am asking this because my daughter is still 11 months old , so I wonder if she can choose the one she like. I mean right now she is interested in every new thing she see. So I guess she will pick up anything from the rack, but the main problem is she don't like wearing them. So not sure, but I will surely try out this thing. Thanks.

kamai likes this.
  12. kamai

kamai Active Member

My baby was only six months olds and what I did was put three different shoes in front of her and she would grab one or two of them. If she grabbed two I would then put both in front of her and she would pick one. Then hoping she would wear them I showed her on myself how a shoe must be worn then I would guide her and teach her to do the same on herself.

naruto100 likes this.
  13. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I am not remembering having too much difficulty here, but now that it is mentioned it does seem to register with when I used to work with kids. It is probably just one of those things that kids take their own time with getting used to.

naruto100 likes this.
  14. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will try out this method for sure. I am just confused because what if she will choose one but not wear after it. But I guess it will take time. We just need to keep on trying and once she get used to of it then it will be fine. For her first birthday only few days left, so I wonder if she will learn it that fast, but it is okay as we are giving party at home only.

kamai likes this.