At what age should a child start washing clothes for themselves?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by NicholasMukuha, Sep 8, 2017.

1. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuha Member

There is an old adage that goes, cleanliness is next to godliness. Therefore having clean clothes is very important as it is good for health, boosts confidence among peers, among other benefits.

It's obvious that as young kids, our mothers and/or househelps used to clean clothes for us. Thanks to them. However as we grew up, this duty, that I so much hate, was left to us. Interestingly, for some of my agemate friends', their parents still wash clothes for them. So, basically, what is the best age to let a child wash their own clothes?

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I am surprised by this thread although it strikes a note in my emotion. Our family was hard up with finances when I was in grade school. We were a brood of 5 and my mother, although she doesn't work to mind the home, had a hard time with the chores. I saw my brother doing the laundry sometimes. I think he was 13 (I was in grade 1 then). To be honest, I didn't like the idea. I don't want to see a child washing the clothes. As much as possible, the parent should do it for him. Maybe when he is 15, it is okay to let him wash his own clothes.

NicholasMukuha likes this.
  3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I can only speak for myself but I know I started washing my own clothes when I could work out how to use the washing machine, and when I started to get fashion conscious and found that if I wanted to wear my favourite clothes I would have to wash them myself! I think I was about 13. In those days there were no automatic washing machines but twin tubs and it was very cumbersome if I remember.

Washing machines these days make it so easy and I washed my children's clothes until they left home because it's easier to do it altogether. I think it will probably be the same for my granddaughter.

4. D Lee

D Lee New Member

I was 12 when I started washing my own socks and pants. But it also depends with the child's maturity and the capability to master such a skill of washing clothes. The earlier the child learns to do things by himself or herself the better and responsible he/she will be, so I would encourage my kids to learn this at an early stage in an interesting way.

5. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I think the age a child should be allowed to wash his or her cloth is dependent on the child's technical know how on carrying out the task. Some children tend to develop quickly in handling house chores so it is practically dependent in observing the kids ability to wash their clothes thoroughly.

Personally, I started washing my clothes at the age of 5. My parents stopped getting us nanny so young and I happen to be very observant during the time our nanny was doing the job. One fateful day, I took it upon myself to wash my clothes and that of my siblings. I actually did a nice job that on my parents return from work, they were so pleased and actually bought me soft drinks.

I think putting the kids in the test of washing their own early would make them learn the task of washing their own clothes well. The age doesn't really matter, some might learn so quickly at a younger age while other do at an older age.

NicholasMukuha likes this.
  6. trebor2017

trebor2017 New Member

When I was 10 years old my mother already teaches me how to wash my clothes and at that time it was actually fun since children love to play with water. For me it is actually a good time to teach your children to be more responsible so that he can do things by himself in the future. When teaching them the work you should just give them simple instructions and let them decide what to do because it can build their self-confidence though you must be on their side to support them. Let them have fun while working to create memories of their very first task accomplishment.

7. Mika

Mika Active Member

I am the eldest of my siblings and my father was very strict as he wanted all of us to be self-dependent as far small things like washing our own towels and underpants was concerned. As far other clothes were concerned that was done by a helping hand but I always washed our school dress (I had only 2 and some times spoiled them during lunch hours or games period) and ironed it.

8. KloeRinz

KloeRinz Member

By the time they become teenagers, I think they should be taught how to do laundry. However, I don't think laundry is a requirement in life, especially when there are other people willing to do it for you. I'm in my 20s and I don't do it myself. I only use washing machines if I'm currently living alone.

9. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

When we were young, most of the time my mom was the one who did the laundry work, using washing machine. I washed my own clothes by hand only when I was staying in hostel or staying outside, since age 12.

We are using washing machine at home now too, but I taught my children how to wash their clothes by hand when they were perhaps 4 or 5 years old. I also taught them how to use the washing machine and do the laundry work as well. It's not their duty and they do not do these daily yet, but I just taught them how to do so, and they enjoy doing the laundry work once in a while, it's fun for them. I think it's good to start letting the children start helping out the laundry work (especially when there is washing machine) when they are 5 years old. Though I am the one who mainly does the laundry work, I always invite my kids to do it together with me including putting the laundry in the washing machine, hanging, collecting and folding. Once in a while, they wash their clothes by hand especially after they have dirtied their clothes. After washing by hand once, they'll put the clothes in the washing machine as well.

Mika likes this.
  10. tyche

tyche Active Member

When I was going to school, my parents washed my uniforms and clothes, but I also washed them myself during the weekend using the washing machine. I think 11 yrs. old is the ideal age for kids to start washing their clothes. Not too young, and not too old either.

11. Miches

Miches Active Member

My mom taught me to wash and iron clothes after graduating from high school. However, since I needed to travel for two to three hours everyday to go to college, I didn't have time or energy to wash my own clothes. A laundrywoman comes every weekend to do all the washing and ironing. I never forgot the lessons though and I'm grateful for them. I got to use them when we're all grown up. Washing clothes may just be too much for a child specially during school days so it isn't something I am advocating. Besides that, it would be cheaper to run the entire wash load once on the washing machine and I can handle that quite easily during weekends.

12. Mika

Mika Active Member

We had a different system as a washer man came to our house every week and collected all the clothes from the laundry bag and for ironing. But most of those clothes were either that of our parents or bed sheets, curtains etc. Since my younger brother and I had only two school dresses each so we had no choice but to wash and iron them ourselves. My father was very particular that we did our personal clothes on our own.

13. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

I really think the adults should do the clothes and let the kids be kids as they say. I think I started washing my own clothes when I moved out of the house at 18,and lets face it, you can learn to wash clothes pretty fast-and it dosen't take to much training either. I think though you should teach kids other things like having good values and other work skills, but you should just be in the learning phase as a child-and let the kids grow up making and concentrating on good grades instead of washing clothes.

14. Mika

Mika Active Member

@Folk Artist I always thought that to make your children self dependent you must assign them few basic responsibilities which keeps them busy besides help learning the value of labor. My father thought if we washed our undergarments and school uniforms that will teach us how to keep our uniforms neat and clean and ready at school time. I agree with you that learning laundry is not a big issue and anyone can do it easily. By the way we did our uniform and undergarments washing by hand.

15. johnny666

johnny666 New Member

Children should start washing their own clothes when they become adults because they need to grow their hands first in order for them to squeeze the clothes effectively. Are you forcing your children to wash their own clothes? Let them grow first, their hands are pretty small to handle washing clothes.

16. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

I agree that kids do need to learn some work ethic,because they really do not grow up and learn self-discipline in a natural way-and these character traits must be taught to tolerate frustrating types of circumstances so they can deal with them as a adult. I would say not to give them to many chores though-so they can enjoy childhood a bit.

17. ABlessed

ABlessed Member

I think it all depends on your parenting style, the maturity of the child, and whether or not we are talking about washing clothes by hand or using a washing machine. If we are talking about using a washing machine, then kids can be shown how to wash their clothes at a very early age; how to separate clothes by color (and by fabric, if need be). If we are talking about washing clothes by hand, that's a tricky question. It is good to teach children skills, but it is important not to be over-bearing about it.

18. Purity Mani

Purity Mani New Member

It depends with the kid,growth rate in kids differ even how they understand things differ,for me I teach them early as six year old can wash his underwear and handkerchief but under supervision by the time their are of age 10 the can clean well,but I think the earlier the better

19. Katherine

Katherine New Member

I personally think the child should start washing their clothes when they are mature enough to use the washing machine. Much later when they are doing it manually. I do not let my kids do them now since they just mess up everything. But there is really no harm in teaching them to start early but be sure to be ready to do it again in case it will not be as clean as you wanted it to be!

20. kamai

kamai Active Member

I only have one child and she is three and to be honest I do everything for her and she starts to help when she wants. I think I would let her wash her clothes when she's on her own. I like doing it all for her but Its do teach her the value of getting things done for her and she is an obidient child. She is a great child but she does have her moments like everyone.

21. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I was probably about 10 years old when I started washing my own clothes. I think it's a good thing for kids to learn to do laundry properly at a fairly young age. Maybe not 10, but when they are teens, yeah. Every person in the household should contribute to its well-being, so helping out with chores is a good thing. Not only does it keep parents from being house maids, and give them a break, but it also teaches kids that everyone is part of the household and the family, and therefore everyone should make a contribution.

It's also an important skill that they will need to know when they are on their own.

xobe likes this.
  22. jojo_1234

jojo_1234 New Member

Eventually as early as possible. Which means whenever you think he/she is already capable. Teaching kids to be responsible is the best way for them in preparation to the world around. That does not limit only to washing the clothes but to other household chores which he/she might be capable. Trying to expose them would not only prepare them to what is life after childhood but also gives them the idea of the necessity to do work on your own.

xobe likes this.
  23. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I agree with you. I think it's very wise. It's also important to make sure they do things properly. It's never too early to start teaching kids good work ethic. Not saying they should be worked like dogs or anything, but learning to help out. When they learn to take part and to do a good job when they do, it will stick with them for a lifetime.

So many kids don't think they should have to do anything.

xobe likes this.
  24. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Well I bet this one varies quite a bit, and I will admit that I was pretty reliant on my folks for this for a bit. Sometimes a washing machine is just hard to come by, but certainly the earlier is probably better.

xobe likes this.
  25. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

I was doing my own laundry in my midteens using a washing machine. Before then, I had to sometimes wash little items like underwear by hand. I think parents should let children wash their own clothes in their mid teens. At this age, they are young adults and responsibility should be emphasize from this point on.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    xobe likes this.
  26. xobe

xobe New Member

Every weekend I'm the one who's responsible in doing the laundry for my family. My eldest daughter is already 8 years old and I taught her on how to deal with her clothes already. I learned clothes laundry at age of 8 and just passed that learning experience to my youngest daughter so that she could be on her own. I'm still taking care for my youngest one because she's only 5, 3 more years baby,, 3 more years :D.

27. Natasha0717

Natasha0717 New Member

Hmm...I'm trying so hard to remember when I started washing my own clothes. I think in general, if the child wants to take the job on as one of his or her "chores" (for an allowance, etc.) and as long as they do a pretty good job at it, I would say maybe 11-12 years old (?)
    I was in my late teens when I started washing my own clothes, mostly because I was wearing so many of them and going through them so fast. You know high school, lots of events, dates. And when you want your shirt to fit just right you will purposely wash it, all that good stuff. But hey, children nowadays seem "older" than before, they seem a lot more mature. I hang out with my niece all the time and I forget she's only 10. I swear she acts like a teenager. So, as a job or weekly chore, etc., I'd say maybe 11-12...and if they start going through clothes too fast and it seems like the laundry is always piling up from them and only them, :eek::D then they can start doing their own, they'd probably want to anyway. ;)

28. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

I don't know if there is a right age for a child to learn washing his own clothes, as for me, I remember watching my grandma wash our clothes when I was around 5. I used to ask her how she does it so I can help. She taught me how and started letting me wash small towels and she would make me repeat if I didn't do a good job. As a result, I learned how to do the laundry by hand at the age of 7 or 8. I don't see anything wrong with teaching kids to do not just laundry but also other household chores regardless how young they are. A lot of millennials are way too different and lazy compared to kids who grew up around the 90s. Maybe it's because of the way these kids are raised.

29. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

We all started washing our own clothes while we were still at school. The Sunday clothes as they were called were sent to the laundry. The heavy clothes such as towels were handled by mother.

30. waad32

waad32 New Member

I remember I was 11 when I started to wash my own clothes. Literally hand washing, no washing machine but my mom always checks and sees to it that my clothes were washed properly. When not properly washed, she'll be the one to wash it again. That was until I was in high school that I learned to wash my clothes properly. Now that I have kids on my own, it is the same age that I let my kids wash their own clothes but with the help of the washing machine. I guess it will not hurt to teach the kids to wash their clothes regardless of how young they are as long as we ( parents) are always their to help and teach them the proper way.