What causes multiple pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by remnant, Dec 4, 2017.

1. remnant

remnant Member

Cases of women giving birth to quadruplets are frequent nowadays. In one instance, a woman have birth to 4 kids and all of them died some time after birth. In some cases, it has to do with the egg cell splitting. Are there other factors like nutrition?

2. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Your question got me curious so I looked for answers online because I also do not have an idea as to why some women give birth to multiple babies. I found an article entitled "Multiple Pregnancy" published by the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. It says multiple pregnancy can be due to heredity, older age, race, and several other factors. You can check out the article through this link:

https://www.chw.org/medical-care/fe...ns/pregnancy-complications/multiple-pregnancy

3. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

What is popularly known cause of multiple birth is hereditary. I have a relative delivered a twin. I asked myself what it is so. My late mother related to me that we have multiple births in our family tree. But study conducted there are other factors that lead to a pregnant woman to give birth of a twin, cuardoplet, quintoplet, and even to 12 births. There are news about that multiple births, not pregnancy.

Elsa likes this.
  4. gibbs

gibbs New Member

I think it is just a matter of chance so I wouldn't put much thought into it when it comes to identical twins. Fraternal twins on the hand is a different case. When this happens it is most probably because someone in your family also had fraternal twins.

5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I always thought it was common after fertility treatment. I had a twin pregnancy where I lost one baby but there were several sets of twins on my mother's side. I really didn't think it would happen to me . It was sad that I lost one but as I didn't even know I was carrying twins at the time I started bleeding I was just grateful that the other baby had survived. My daughter is a lovely woman.

6. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

Some multiple births are hereditary, meaning there are naturally born twins or triplets in the family. But these days, multiple births seems to occur from use of fertility medication or through IVF treatment. I have also read some stories online where a mother decided to deliberately take double dosage of a particular effective fertility drug. She had 5 babies at once.

7. gibbs

gibbs New Member

That's tough!

8. ABlessed

ABlessed Member

I honestly don't think nutrition has anything to do with a woman giving birth to multiple children. I think it is hereditary, if it is natural. Of course these days, it seems to me that almost any woman who is fertile can take fertility drugs and wind up with a multiple birth pregnancy. In the case of it being natural, where no drugs are involved, it seems to me that you can always finds instances of multiple births in the same family, even if it skips a generation or two.
    I think if a person can handle it, giving birth to multiple children at once is a great thing, especially if you and your mate want more than one child. Have four at one time and get the births all done at once.

9. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

The most famous case in the UK was the Waltons Sextuplets. They were all girls, all very different in their personalities and all grew up well. Their parents were an inspiration to us all.

10. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I have several friends who are twins, one is even a second cousin. Based on my research on those twins, it is hereditary. Their take on twins is that it appears on the 4th generation which means if your grandparent is a twin then more likely you as a parent can have twins for children. But aside from the natural causes, the fertility pill has been proven to produce twins. One proof is the perfume magnate named Joel who hired a surrogate mother and used fertility pill. He got 2 female twins and from what I heard, another twins will be coming soon which underwent the same procedure.

11. Mika

Mika Active Member

I am not sure if multiple pregnancy which is a widely discussed topic has anything to do with nutrition, hereditary, family history or by efforts. Even the multiple pregnancy which simply means a woman having two or more babied in her womb is purely by chance which in most cases happens when the egg carrying the sperm splitted up into two or more embryos. By the way I have observed that artificially conceived cases have more chances of multiple pregnancy.