Why do pregnant women eat a lot?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Heatman, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

My kid sister is 7 months pregnant now but before now she's had an increased appetite for food. It's so surprising to me that the moment that she wakes up, the next thing on her agenda is to find food and eat.

At this moment, you can't come to my house and not see one food or another, different kinds of fruits. Sometimes, I wonder if it's just that little fetus in her belly that is giving her that kind of increased hunger?

2. kamai

kamai Active Member

Yes hunger increases when a woman is pregnant. I remember I had to have a snack every half hour or I would feel like I was starving especially when I was in my third trimester. Baby is growing and that requires we eat more to pass them down energy and nutrients they need to keep on growing.

Heatman likes this.
  3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the time when my mother was pregnant. She would be eating much more than the usual that's why she was always overweight after giving birth and she has to taper off. The reason is the appetite. She said that she was always hungry because maybe she had the thought that there were 2 of them eating hence it was more psychological then physical.

4. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

This is exactly my point, as I would just be mopping at her while she does the eating and I keep on asking aren't you filled up yet? She would just laugh over it and keep on and up with the eating.

What surprises me again is that after that much extensive meal intake, it wouldn't be close to an hour and she will start shouting on top of her voice that she is hungry again, in her words "that the hunger is vibrating her body":rolleyes::eek::D

5. Mika

Mika Active Member

I don't think it should be a matter of surprise since a would be mother has to eat not only for herself but for the baby in womb. Most would be mother develop a carving for a different taste like some prefer to eat sour and some others prefer to eat sweet. However, since the mother has to feed the baby in womb it is but natural that her diet gets increased. Maybe her walking also has to play a role in her increased intake of food.

6. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Well, that I'm surprised about her constant intake of food, fruits and juices (natural made), it doesn't mean that I have any issues with it, she can eat everything in the house for all I care as long as she can still carry herself after such heavy eating.

I definitely know that the food is good actually good for the baby's growth and health. So therefore, she is allow to eat as much as she can.

7. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I can say that the increased appetite might be more likely due to pregnancy. Thinking that there are already two of them "eating", it is just normal for a pregnant woman to eat more than her usual diet, but what to ensure is that she eats healthy and avoid too salty food and sweets since these can be problems in the long run.

8. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Well I thought that this one was pretty well understood at this point, and when you are eating for two you would tend to eat more. There is probably more to it but that has always been enough for me.

9. Mika

Mika Active Member

On the contrary some women tend to eat lesser or they develop kind of disinterest for food during pregnancy. Some women complain that they feel a smell which keeps them away from the food or they want to eat particular items only. Some women feel like eating sweets or sour only or likewise. However, eating more than what they eat in normal course is common so there is nothing to worry or think about that.

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

Mika likes this.
  11. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

I guess its normal in pregnancy. As far as I have heard almost all women feel more hunger during this time. Even my wife felt the same during her pregnancy time. As there is another life, women need to eat for both of them, I mean for her and her kid. So may be that's why they feel more hunger. That's what I have heard from others and it sounds logical too. I have also seen cases where their food habit changes lot in different manner.

12. Mika

Mika Active Member

I also think the same but a pregnant woman doesn't eat as much she feels like eating time and again. In fact a woman eats only as much as she needs but she feels like eating time and again (in some cases the process reverse when a woman doesn't feel like eating at all). However, there is no fixed pattern of eating in such cases but it depends from woman to woman.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  13. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Well, I think so too but I do certainly have a changed perception towards this as I happen to believe that pregnancy doesn't affect two women exactly the same way.

Some might be pushed to eat more while pregnant, while some are taken to eating less. Which is the cases, what's important is that the pregnant women eat well and keep the baby healthy.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  14. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

Well aside from the obvious (pregnant women are eating for one or two or three more people:)), I think there are certain hormones released in the body during pregnancy that increases hunger pangs and frequency. This food increase then further causes a noted weight increase. Every pregnant woman has experienced this at one point or another. It may not be that evident in the first trimester but as the pregnancy progresses, it becomes more apparent that more food is needed.

Heatman and littlewitch66 like this.
  15. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

I can vouch for that! When I was pregnant, it seemed like I was always eating something, I used to crave for a lot of things and unfortunately, most of them were fried foods! ;) but to complement that, I was also eating a lot of apples and oranges, I craved for bananas too but was restricted as I was diagnosed with increased sugar levels in my last trimester.

16. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

That's very funny but it's all good as I have come realize that proper consumption of more fresh fruits is actually good for the baby's growth, proper health and sound development.

Although, it amazes me how someone (baby in belly) so small would actually be making it so demanding that their host mother eat too much. :Do_O

17. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Definitely, even without being pregnant and you tend to eat much and not have control over excessive food consumption, one is practically going to gain weight and added body mass as well.

So, it's not surprising that pregnant women tend to add a lot more weight during the pregnancy period probably because of eating for two. On the hormones you talk about, I haven't really heard about it before. Maybe I would have to ask my physician about it.