Teens, grown "kids" and Birthday Parties

Discussion in 'Kids' started by thisnthat, Oct 6, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

At what age do you stop having birthday parties for kids? I mean, I don't see anything wrong with having a little get together with family and/or friends or something like that. What about the whole theme party with all the trimmings? How big is too big or is there such a thing?

Do you have teens or grown kids?

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Unless you are wealthy, the tradition here for children's party is on the first birthday of the baby and the 7th birthday. And for the teenager, it is only for the daughter who usually gets a party when she turns 18 which is called a debutante party. For the one-year old, it is usually just bonding with other kids although sometimes the parents spend for parlor game prizes. Some families have simple parties like pasta, cake and ice cream that is prepared for the neighboring kids.

thisnthat likes this.
  3. LesY

LesY New Member

Although there is no such thing as too old for a theme party, I think it should be around 12 years old. After that, I think my son will be more interested in get togethers and non themed parties! Probably at 25 I'll try to convince him to have one last theme party just to commemorate the half century occasion, like I did when I turned 25.

thisnthat likes this.
  4. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Interesting. Wow, @Alexandoy that sounds so much simpler than the way a lot of people do it here. It seems like so many make it into a competition, trying to "one up" the other parents every year, with bigger and more elaborate (and expensive) parties. I don't like it at all. I think it becomes less about the children and more about the competition. What you have sounds nice.

Ha, I don't think your son will mind, @LesY.

5. Mika

Mika Active Member

I think most people in my area celebrate 1st 10-12 birthdays but when the children enter into their teens their opinion matters. Some children want to celebrate with their friends only so do not wish to make it a family/relatives affair. I can say that most teens want to celebrate their birthday with their friends once they are in late teens. I think we should stop at the age of Ten and take children's opinion in account.

6. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I share the same birthday party tradition as that of what @Alexandoy said. My children had their elaborate parties on their first birthday, and my eldest on his 7th birthday as well. Although, we often celebrate birthday parties yearly, it is more of a simple family gathering or family outing. I agree that having expensive parties yearly isn't budget-friendly and I personally think it's the parents who enjoy more on socializing rather than the kids. As to the idea about children parties, we often go for parties with parlor games which are native to our place like breaking small clay pots filled with candies while blind-folded, tomato or calamansi relay, newspaper dance and "pabitin" or a variety of toys and candies hanged over a square-shaped bamboo shoots wherein children can jump altogether and get their own stuff.

7. tyche

tyche Active Member

For me it really depends on the parent's inclination and also their budget. I really can't recall having a birthday at 7 yrs. old, but I was really an aloof kid back then so I don't really have playmates. As for the debut, now that is strictly for the rich people only.

8. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I don't really have parties now and my granddaughter is 11. I think the last party we had was when she was 9. I usually find somewhere she would like to go and then take a couple of friends. This year we went to a swimming pool with a wave machine and then took them for somewhere to eat after. They had an amazing time while I watched from the balcony above as all the girls were competent swimmers. She prefers to do that now and at least there's no mess to clear up after!