would you take a parenting class?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by josephen, Apr 25, 2017.

1. josephen

josephen New Member

hi fellow parents, raising kids is as easy as one may think and in my culture most of the parenting knowledge is passed down from one parent to another.
    but In this modern culture time is limited thus we are forced to seek this education elsewhere.
    I am thinking about enrolling on an online parenting class. would you?

Trixen likes this.
  2. janemarie

janemarie Member

This is something I think should be available free to all new parents in every country. A short six week course would be sufficient to teach new parents what to expect and how to handle different scenarios. As it is at the moment, none of us know if we are doing the right thing and knowledge is just passed down through parents. We don't know if our parents did the right thing, so I think that some kind of guidance is a great idea for new parents.

I think that enrolling in an online parenting class is a brilliant idea and it is possible that more parents are doing that as it is now available.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Taking part in a parenting class isn't something that I have ever done, but it isn't something that I would have ruled out if I had the chance. Even though like you say a lot of our parenting skills are passed down from one generation to the next, we can always find something new to learn and for some, parenting classes can be invaluable.

Being offered a chance to take part in a parenting class doesn't mean that people think that you are a bad parent, it's just a way of learning from others and also a way of introducing you to other parents who are in the same boat as you, and even if you yourself don't get anything from it, your help and support might be helpful to others who you meet.

4. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

If I started having problems in a specific area, or if my toddler had needs that might require different parenting than usual (e.g. autism) I would definitely consider a parenting class. It's nothing to do with being a bad parent, just making sure I have all the tools I need to be the best parent I can.

5. tony

tony Active Member

Why not I will gladly accept an invitation to take a course in parenting. There maybe aspects of parenting that I need be taught more about I am not sure I am experienced enough in parenting not to accept such an invite. That said, in our local worship centers I think programs were married couples are being thought parenting and how to make marriage work should be organised. The tutors or speakers should be men and women with excellent family lives.

6. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Parenting may be learned from a particular subject in college. However, it gets started from intermediate class down to secondary level. It is a part of home economics and science and health. But what have been studied from such level of education won't well and won't effective as it should be when it is not practiced.

Parenting is best learned by actualization. Meaning by experience, it is being handed by a parent to her children, and so on and so forth. In short, experience is the best teacher.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Experience is the best teacher like you say, and in most cases taking the hands on approach and learning as you go along is the best way, but with parenting that can be risky.

New parents for example I do think will learn valuable information that they simply won't pick up from them just getting on with it. Also where a baby is concerned, the welfare of the child is important so learning from your mistakes can affect both parents and child.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

Despite all this modernity in which we live in today's world (where there always seems to be an easy solution to everything... and I don't know if this is exactly something good), I have never needed such a lesson (and honestly, I don't think I would participate in this kind of class o_O).

I think that fatherhood / maternity comes with the adversity (and of course, with all the joys) that we confront daily. This is what makes us truly fathers and mothers in our totality.

9. Anne

Anne New Member

I think I'd love this class, since I don't think that my parents' parenting skills were infallible. There's actually a lot of situations I'd prefer to have handled differently were I in their shoes, although to be fair I was a weird kid. I like these kinds of seminars, watch similar videos on Youtube... Maybe it's because it doesn't come to me naturally to handle kids a certain way on the fly.
    Other than that I'm also a theory-first practice-later kind of person, I don't handle mental surprises very well.

10. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Yes, if I can afford to pay for the fees, I'd enroll the parenting class. After my first child was born, I was fortunate to be recommended a parenting class by my child's pediatrician, both my husband and I attended the class. There I have learned some good skills and how to set a good mindset about parenting. I started to explore and learn more from there. Now I am always looking for parenting information online.

As I can't afford to go for a class (both money and availability), I always check out the free resources online. I am learning a lot from these free stuff too. I agree with @janemarie , parenting course should actually be given free to new parents. Here I know there are some hospitals offering parenting courses, but those are not free.

janemarie likes this.
  11. remnant

remnant Member

On the contrary, I would prefer to conduct a parenting class. I would concentrate on spiritual issues which most are ignorant of. I would not mind attending a parenting class but it should be structured around concepts which are not run of the mill as is the case with motivational programs in most places nowadays which charge a leg and a foot to attend.

12. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

As a grandmother bringing up her grandchild I was asked to take parenting classes at her primary school. I didn't mind as things have changed drastically in schools since my children were there. I was surprised to see that many of the parents were resentful that they had been asked to attend. These classes were free and I really enjoyed them but towards the end of the course many had dropped out. I think they saw it as a criticism of their parenting skills.

13. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Family ties is dominant in our culture which means young parents learn from their own parents. And it is common for grandparents to handle difficult grandchildren because they have the experience in raising their kids. But in this modern times, I would agree if young parents would attend a course of parenting particularly those young parents who are living far from their families.

14. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Not to sound arrogant, but I've learned enough about parenting from experience. I don't need a class - as the class would probably just be saying common sense stuff I already know. Anyhow, forums like this one and certain blogs can give people all the info they need. However, though, you need to double-check your online sources.

15. Trixen

Trixen New Member

I would love to as long as it teaches me most about child development. I want to know which part of parenting can hugely affect a child's personality, for example. Is it important that the father is a disciplinarian and the mother is compassionate? When am I too strict for my child? I have my own childhood experiences and I probably know which ones work. But still, it would be helpful.

16. Miches

Miches Active Member

I don't mind attending parenting classes. My parenting style is based off a combination of my personal experiences, my parents' style, and the knowledge I gained from school and from reading books. Parenting classes offer different insights on parenting and may even discuss aspects that we may have failed to consider as parents. They can help raise awareness on sensitive issues that we would have otherwise overlooked just because we didn't deal with them when we were not yet parents. Attending parenting classes doesn't mean I'll be completely sold to the instructor's system but I'll definitely consider integrating new ideas that can help me become a better parent.

17. tyche

tyche Active Member

No I won't, because I'm not a parent yet and I don't intend to be one as well, but in general, I think that it's a good idea. I don't see any harm in it. In fact, it's quite beneficial for parents and would be parents.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  18. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Attending a parenting class is a good idea for me. It offers an opportunity to learn new things and strategies about parenting. Yes, a lot of parenting styles might be greatly influenced by our own parents, but it wouldn't harm if we try out new things as well.

19. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I already have! My granddaughter's school ran a free parenting class and when I took on custody of her she was very upset at the upheaval in her life so I thought I would do the class to get a few tips on how to deal with it. It was quite helpful exchanging ideas with other mums and dads and I didn't feel embarrassed at all. Everyone had different problems and we could give each other tips.

20. kamai

kamai Active Member

I personally wouldn't take parenting classes as to be a good parent and know what do to with our kids will depend on knowing our kids. One must spend time with their kids to know what's best for them as all children are different. One way of raising might not have the same impact on every child as not every child takes it the same way.

21. KloeRinz

KloeRinz Member

Yes, I would. After all, I believe that I do not have what it takes to be a good parent. Also, my parents sucked badly at raising children, so I do not want to end up the same. Thus, I shall try my best not to end up like them. Either way, I do not think it is necessary and experience matters much more than classes.

22. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

Absolutely yes. In fact, every intending parent should read books on parenting or attend parenting classes. There are so many aspects to parenting. And over the years, parenting children has changed. You may have had a great childhood and want the same for your kids but there are also different challenges that may crop up which was never experienced with your parents. So its a great idea and I would definitely pay good money to attend parenting classes.