Daycare center

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Alexandoy, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

The daycare center is getting popular here because their clients are mostly working parents needing someone to take care of their child (or children). The daycare center is like a nursery with a teacher who conducts activities so the children will not be bored. The center also takes care of the food of the children. What’s good in the daycare center is that the toddlers have a social life. That is a vast improvement because in the olden days, working parents would leave their children to the care of the neighbor. Definitely the daycare center is better.

2. Mika

Mika Active Member

I agree because I have seen daycare centers personally and the way they handle kids. I have a first hand experience that almost everyone here leaves their children before going to work in a daycare (the begin taking them at 6 in the morning until 6 in the evening after that they charge a heavy extra fee). Even they leave their school going children with two different food boxes one for the school and one for the daycare as all day care do not provide food. But they provide very good care to children with well trained staff and teach them how to share, behave and basics.

3. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

It is true that daycare centers have started playing a vital role in our life these days as most mothers are working.

When you have no family/relative support for a young child and you must work to meet the ends, it definitely is a good option. You just have to do a thorough research before leaving your child in someone's custody.

4. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

I am not a pessimist but pardon me I would not advocate giving your child's ownership to any daycare centers. But as you said it's quite inevitable in case of working parents and in today's nuclear family set up it's quite difficult to take care of a baby. But are daycare centers really safe?

I think if we have no other option but to depend on a daycare center at least we should do some serious study before using their services. Just go through the past records, the owner's history and if possible try to visit their place a number of times. In fact there are many unpleasant things happening in daycare centers. I was shocked to read the news that In a daycare center here the staff used to give sleeping pills to babies to induce sleep so that they can take rest. You know taking care of even a single kid is not a child's play.

You won't believe 96% of 227 commercial day-care centers in US are having some or other kind of issues when it comes to adherence to health regulations. Some of them not even doing background checks while recruiting staffs to take care of the babies.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-inspections-find-rampant-risks-kids-n545181

AngelaMc and thisnthat like this.
  5. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

It's been popular (and some would say necessary) here for quite some time. I don't agree that it is definitely better. I think that depends on the center, on the child, and many other variables.

My husband and I worked staggered shifts so that one of us could be home with the kids most of the time. The other times, they were with family members mostly.

My third child went to a preschool/daycare for a year, but I personally knew the people who ran it. I even ended up working there for a while as the lunch lady. Otherwise, our kids were home or with family most of the time.

firstcry likes this.
  6. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I would agree with @Alexandoy. Daycare center in our country is funded by the government. The workers there are being paid by the government. They have undergone various training like a classroom teachers. I was once a school principal of a public elementary school and I impose a strict requirement for a one grade entrant to have pre-school experience either by a private kinder school or by a Day Care Center. From a Day Care center product is comparable with a pre-schooler from a private school. The kids know how to distinguish basic shapes, color. They know how to read sight words and could count numbers from one to twenty. They even know how to write their name.

Alexandoy likes this.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

In an ideal world then a parent should be able to stay at home and look after their child, but these days that simply isn't possible due to work commitments. Here in the UK many primary schools have provision for 2 and 3 year old's and people are entitled to upto 15 hours free childcare a week for exactly that reason. The nurseries and day centres that aren't associated with any particular school are governed by the same rules as the actual schools are and get checked at least 4 times a year to make sure that they are up to a specific standard, so as far as safety goes there shouldn't be a problem.

Many parents take advantage of the free 15 hours a week childcare, as it means that at least then they have the chance to work part-time, but it can also help the children as well. The earlier they start to integrate with other children their own age, the easy the transition is when they eventually start school as they are already into the routine of leaving their parents for a certain amount of time.

firstcry likes this.
  8. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

:)Today more children seem to be in a daycare program. I personally never used one when my son was growing up, but a lot of families do use them and have great things to say about them. My husband and I worked our work schedules out, where if he was working, I was home to care for our son, and if I was working he would care for our son. This seemed to work well for us, one of us were always there, we didn't have to leave him with strangers.:)

thisnthat and firstcry like this.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Sometimes leaving children with strangers can be a good thing though, and it helps with their early development and makes them more used to interacting with others. When I was growing up, I never went to nursery or a daycare centre but just went straight to school and I did find it harder to settle as a lot of other children do that aren't used to being away from their parents.

At the end of the day we are all going to do what we think is right for our children, and even if we want to keep them at home with us, circumstances dictate that sometimes we have no choice but to do something we may not want to, and that's where these daycare centres come in. At least we know that they are regulated and our children should be safe there, even though they may not like going, and we might not like sending them.

10. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

There is an argument for 'socializing' kids, but there are other ways to do so as well. Sunday School for one, if the family are people of faith. There are also play groups and things of that nature. I'd also prefer pre-school or nursery school over just paid daycare. The former is only a couple of hours a day and the kids learn and get to be creative.

I just wasn't comfortable leaving my kids with strangers, and I was blessed to have a way around it. I didn't even like having babysitters too often and only if I knew them well.

AngelaMc likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think there may be a bit of misunderstanding with the term 'daycare centres' here, as it looks like it might mean different things depending on what country you come from. Where I live a daycare centre is just another term for a nursery and these are the types of places I am talking about. They have a curriculum to adhere to, and qualifies teachers and nursery assistants to look after your children and their needs.

A daycare centre as I understand them to be here in the UK, aren't just places where parents dump their kids so they can have a break, and I'm obviously I'm not advocating that type of service if that's what a daycare centre means in other countries.

firstcry likes this.
  12. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Daycare isn't usually to dump kids off for a while to get a break. It's like a babysitting center while you work. As far as I know, not all of the ones here also provide preschool curriculum. The one that I worked at (it's been a while so things might have changed) had separate set ups for preschool and daycare. You could do one or the other or both. Kids had to be signed up for specific programs like so many hours/days per week. It wasn't like a parent could just decide they wanted to go shopping on their own for an afternoon and drop the child off.

13. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

There are many Daycare centers in out place and it's widely used among parents who are both busy working and have no one to take care of their kids. Babysitting isn't as popular in our place as it is in other countries for some reasons I don't know. But there are also some parents who are skeptic about Daycare centers and would rather get their relative or parents to take care of their kids for a while while they're at work because of fear that their kids might not be given the proper care or worst.

thisnthat likes this.
  14. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

In the US, babysitting is still a large in-demand field. On top of that, senior citizen care might even be larger. Anyhow, both daycare centers and nursing homes are seen as vastly inferior by many Americans. Lack of freedom and privacy is a concern in nursing homes. What might be problems in a daycare center?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  15. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

Yes I know that Daycare centers and Nursing homes are popular in the US and it's widely used among citizens and I believe that most Americans use it, if not hiring a babysitter or caregivers for their kids and the elderly. I believe the problem among parents who does not use the service is that they are afraid of what might happen with their kids like accidents or being kidnapped. Let's say they are being negative or over reacting but I can't blame them since there are cases like that not only in our country but in others as well. In regards with Nursing homes, people in our country practice "Close family ties" and they choose to take care of their elders or hire caregivers instead of sending them to nursing homes.

Jason76 likes this.
  16. tony

tony Active Member

My friend was just discussing with me how he enrolled his twin babies in a Day Care center just when they turned four months. He and his wife are employed full time and weren't looking to go for the services of a nanny, so getting the children into a Day Care was the only available option so they could have time for work. My surprise, I never imagined that children as young as that can start what I'd refer to as school

17. Miches

Miches Active Member

The daycare center has been in existence in the country ever since I was a child and I'm now 30+? Those that are funded by the local government only allow kids to stay 2 to 3 hours either in the morning or in the afternoon. This isn't long enough to allow both parents to work. This arrangement can, in fact, hinder parents from working as they had to fetch their children from the center before noon or before 5 pm. These day care centers follow a curriculum and are recognized as preschool education. The teachers are not baby sitters at all.

There are, however, a few day care center that offer whole day care and preschool but these are beyond the reach of most parents as they charge exorbitant fees. This is actually a business idea that may be worth looking into if one can offer reasonable rates/convenient location to urban parents who need day care facilities the way they are being run in countries like the US.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  18. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

The first thing is leaving your children with strangers. It's very difficult for a parent to do, especially when children are very young. You worry about whether or not they will be well cared for (or neglected/abused). You also worry that they will be upset being left in a strange place.

No one cares for your children like you do, and they are also busy with lots of other kids, so accidents are bound to happen as well. It can also be very expensive.

Daycare is a godsend for a lot of parents, especially if they find a great place that their children like and that is affordable.

19. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

I do think in some parts of the world, this is quite good since a lot of parents would be busy doing their jobs and wouldn't have relatives to take care of their kids so they can't leave them at home. But here in our place, there are some centers where you can leave you children but you would need to pay for every hour the child spends staying there. It isn't cheap and it isn't safe too since I have read in the papers about a kid who got kidnapped in such place.

20. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

These placecs depend so much on who is in there and vary from place to place to city to city, so I would just make sure that the research is being done. We had one here locally that was always winning awards and all of that, then some new management came in and before you know it they were on the news for the wrong reasons.

21. Mika

Mika Active Member

I agree with all of you, in fact where I live the minimum daycare fee is $120 per child per day but good thing is that the government provides 50% to parents besides other childcare facilities. However, the standard of day care is better than what most parents would be able to provide their children besides giving/teaching then good habits.