Using walker for toddlers

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Alexandoy, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

It is called walker here. It is like a seat with wheels where the toddlers can use to prop himself and learn how to walk. But in my experience with walkers, it is not a good equipment or whatever you call it, to teach the toddler to walk because it only causes accidents. The toddler becomes confident that he would be running without direction and will more likely suffer a crash or a fall.

Elsa likes this.
  2. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

The child needs to be supervised with such gadgets as it can cause accidents. Actually a child does not need a walker. It toddles on its own and again ofcourse with supervision. Watching the child toddle is the best scene a mother could experience.

childwalking.jpg

Image Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Baby_in_diaper_learning_to_walk.jpg

3. Mika

Mika Active Member

I agree with @Alexandoy that walker is not one good way of teaching a toddler how to walk without proper supervision but lately they have come up with innovative items which are absolutely safe . Some toddlers even and have fun and engaged with them while parents can keep a watch even from a distance. Image source my personal images
    Screenshot_2018-04-02-.png

Elsa likes this.
  4. Cara

Cara New Member

I recommends against using walkers not only because they can discourage your child from learning to walk on his own, but also because it can be dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2018
  5. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Yes, I guess manufacturers have made changes to walker designs. Hopefully, they are safer to use now. Still, no matter how safe they get, no parent should ever leave a child alone in a walker because as Alexandoy said, they could run in any direction and could crash/fall.

6. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Risa likes this.
  7. tyche

tyche Active Member

I think the child using the walker should be supervised as he is just starting to use it, and once he's got the hang of it, then he can be left alone to himself as he walks.

8. Sassin Lowe

Sassin Lowe New Member

I used a walker from baby elemeno, the story behind this was when my daughter was about 18 months she still didnt walk and i was getting worried about her, she developed speak very quickly just, her development for walking took ever so long is it okay to leave a link admin ?

9. Hova

Hova Active Member

I don't know that much about walkers but if at 18 months your toddler is not walking, every idea should be on the table.

10. Alexandoy

When teaching a toddler to walk, the best is the lawn because the grass will lessen the impact of the fall. Our pediatrician said that it is better to walk on soft surface to avoid injuries although it lessens the effectiveness of learning to walk. In other words, the hard surface makes it faster for a toddler to learn to walk. So it is the choice of the parents now - hard surface like concrete or wood or the soft surface like the grassy yard?

Hova likes this.
  11. Hova

Hova Active Member

That makes sense. Also, the lawn is more fun than the indoors.

12. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Walker for toddlers could play its purpose when the toddlers are properly supervised and not to let them alone or else accident may happen.

Unlike ours we call it andador. It is made of rattan. It has no rollers or wheels. So far accident is too remote to happen whether you leave the toddler momentarily.

13. Hova

Hova Active Member

So how does the andador help with the toddlers' walking if is doesn't have wheels?

14. Alexandoy

The andador is a light contraption that moves when the toddler moves for it is like being carried by the toddler. But when the floor is smooth the andador tends to slide so the toddler can sometimes even run fast. However, I don't see that improvised walker now because parents are modern that they prefer the walker for their toddler.