Bad Sportsmanship

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Jason76, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

https://forums.kinacle.com/index.php?threads/what-sports-do-kids-teens-like.1211/

We know sports are good for the body, but so many people, including kids, are bad sports - making fun of others etc.. How can we face this challenge?

In that case, does teasing have a useful purpose? I hope not, but can we differentiate between light teasing and being mean?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Well, I guess it all comes down to parents who should teach their kids the value of being nice to others. And what I see nowadays are that parents, mostly teach their kids to look out only for themselves and their own interests rather than being nice or caring to others. Teasing others was always their but it was controlled and just for fun, whereas now I see kids being mean to others just for the sake of hurting them. Which is very distressing.

3. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

I think Cricket is a great game and thats to bad that he quit playing this gentleman's sport- because he may have met some rich people with connections, who could help him out-latter on in life. I think his parents should have stepped up and told him to stick with it-instead of letting the bully win at their game. I would have liked to have learned this game as a younger gent- but now enjoy watching it!

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Based on my experience with sports when I used to play community basketball during my teenage years, the sportsmanship largely depends on the personality. There are bad sports no matter how the game goes and there are good sports even if there is injury caused by the opponent. It's sad to note that in the 4 years that I played in the community league, there was only 1 year when the competition ended peacefully. All the rest of the years, the competition did not end due to fist fights on the basketball court.

5. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

Every child should be encouraged to participate in sports but not every teenager will get actively involved in sports. So it is better to allow your child to concentrate in the area they flourish the best. There are other activities like chess, arts, dance clubs, book clubs etc. Allow your child to find their interests and pursue it. But like someone pointed out, there will always be good and bad sportsmanship in every activity. Running away from a particular sport because of this doesn't make it go away.

6. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Bad sportsmanship involves turning a game into a war. Myself, I remember visiting other elementary schools when I was playing for the school team. It was a big load of fun to ride the bus and see other schools and kids, but often our team would get trash talk and middle fingers from the opposing kids, not necessarily the team, but the spectators.