I tried tasting INSTANT baby formula - and yuck!

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Natasha0717, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Natasha0717

Natasha0717 New Member

Hey all, just for kicks I bought some Enfamil Instant Baby Formula, not the mix, but the one already prepared in little bottles. It even says, "ready to drink" or "ready to use" right on the bottle. Okay, by now some of you are wondering WHY in the heck would an adult want to try that stuff? But if you remember me from an earlier post, I'm the weirdo who eats certain baby foods just to get the vitamins/minerals/nutrition I need and I think it really does work. I know baby formula has many vitamins but also what I found so interesting was the immune system support it provides.
    I don't know what I was expecting, how I thought it would or should taste. :D lol
    I guess I thought it would just taste like room-temperature milk, or maybe even a sweeter milk. Boy was I wrong. This stuff tastes like very, very, bitter milk. Not rotten or spoiled milk, just bitter. And I'll admit my first thought was, "HOW would any baby ever want to drink this?" I imagined babies all over the world pushing their baby bottles away and screaming and crying, while their parents are just standing there with a confused look on their faces. I don't know, if your baby happens to refuse this particular brand, I'm at least telling you the reason why. Just a little heads up, thought I'd share - even if you find this post a bit odd..
    IT DOESN'T TASTE GOOD. :eek::p

2. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Thanks for testing it out and sharing your opinions on the baby food. I bought formula milk and tasted before, but those are in powder form, and they taste okay to me. I found them a bit sweet actually. I am not sure if it's because the formula milk I bought is for age 2 and above, so the taste might be different from the infant. I tried a few different brands, and they taste slightly different, but I have not come across any which is bitter. Perhaps you can try with some other brands and see how they taste. :)

Elsa likes this.
  3. Natasha0717

Natasha0717 New Member

I think you're right. I did see the ones for age 2 and above. I don't know why I didn't just go ahead and try that kind anyway, at least it's a little closer to my own age. haha I might try out the powder form just to see if there's any improvement in taste. I just couldn't believe they made instant formula with such a kick to it, it was really, really, bitter. Just kept thinking about the poor babies out there that were probably refusing it anyway. I don't blame them! :D Or I could break down and take a multi-vitamin already....but those tend to make me a bit nauseous. Always looking for odd ways to get in some vitamins and immuno-support. ;)

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

This is interesting because I had tasted baby food and formula when there were babies in our ancestral home. My mother would tell me that the baby food should taste good and they normally do. With baby formula, I guess it was just fine. Incidentally, Enfamil was also the brand that my parents buy for my youngest sister. Well, if the baby formula tastes yucky then you probably have to change to another brand with a more desirable taste.

Elsa likes this.
  5. tyche

tyche Active Member

Maybe baby formula is just like medicine, it's good for your body, but it tastes very bad. I guess they don't know how to make the taste better that's why until now they produce such bad tasting products for babies.

6. AmieBotella

AmieBotella Member

Oh dear, they really taste awful. I try them too. Just our of curiosity. Even the ones you mix with water. And all of the brands too. What is more palatable for me are the formulas intended for toddlers aged 3 and up. You might want to try those with that age bracket. I suppose even the toddlers know the tastes and not so good anymore. Also, stay away from the soy based formulas. They are the top on the list of, how can I say this? most nasty tasting formula there is?

But it's just me though, you might like it.

Elsa likes this.
  7. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

I am not sure what particular brand you tried out. It's the opposite in my experience. I have to consciously stop myself from heaping those dry baby formulas in my mouth:D. They taste so yummy. I do agree some baby food are not that tasty (maybe this is deliberate, no sugar or sweetener), but this doesn't mean ALL baby food tastes yucky.

Elsa likes this.
  8. JiLLian

JiLLian New Member

There are actually some brand of babies milk that doesn't taste good. While there are also some that are so yummy. Though it's not really important how the tastes appears to you as long as your baby loves it, then you have nothing to worry about.

9. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I also had a taste of enfamil and it really tastes awful as you said. It was 10 years ago, when my youngest son was still an infant. Our pediatrician suggested enfamil and our son got sick from it, he hates it and keeps on throwing up, I tasted it and I was surprised that it tastes awful. I threw it in the garbage and bought Similac, which was also used by my eldest son. Similac has a nice taste and is hypoallergenic. When my youngest son tasted it, he liked it very much and regained his health. My suggestion to new parents is taste the formula first and it's better to buy different formulas and taste it, if it tastes good then your baby would also like it.

10. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Well I hope you did not really go into the whole experiment expecting a whole lot but I guess you never know. At the same time though I would not be surprised to have something not taste too bad, so I guess it is all worth a shot as long as it is small sample.

11. Mika

Mika Active Member

I have tried some of the baby milks we bought for our daughter but all of them were either cereal or pure milk powders and no liquid or ready to drink. In fact whatever powders I tasted were yummy having low sugar and easy to dilute. I always felt my daughter loved those milk powders because whenever we tried cow milk she drank that reluctantly.

12. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

Some formulas taste good while some tastes like old medicine, that's why im wondering why pharmaceutical companies would create such bad tasting baby formulas? Some of my friends have the same experience with baby formulas and even they were surprised why some pedias would recommend such bad tasting formulas. For me when I see a baby not drinking his bottle then somethings wrong with it, he doesn't like the taste of it, and it should be replaced as soon as possible.

13. Mika

Mika Active Member

I was in Australia for sometime while my daughter was a toddler on formula. The best formula milk we found was Aptamil Gold that our daughter drank without any fuss. Once I bought Aptamil Silver because I was in a hurry and did not check the level. My wife said every time she tried to fee our daughter she refused to drink it or drank too little. Then we noticed that the color of the tin was different and it was Silver and not the one we were giving her regularly. As soon as we changed the formula everything came back to normal.

Kakashi2020 likes this.
  14. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I think that most times baby's food taste different in the mouth of an adult. Some people would love the taste while others wouldn't. Although there are good tasty ones but I actually try as much as I can not to eat my baby's food. I might just taste it to know how good it is but not too often.

15. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

Some formulas do taste funny and sometimes quite awful and the way I see it is to pick a formula that I like the taste and surely my kid would also like it. There are some formulas which taste like sugar, I mean really sweet, I also stayed clear of those extremely sweet formulas, back then I always pick formulas which to me tastes right not to sweet but creamy to the taste.

Mika likes this.
  16. Mika

Mika Active Member

In all formula milk quantity of sugar is strictly restricted. In fact doctors suggest not to give any sugar, salt to infant up to a particular age (generally one year) or additional water as the quantity of water is enough in mother's milk or the water used for making formula milk. The reason for avoiding sugar and salt is to protect from different complications.

17. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

Some formulas are too sweet and I don't use formulas like this, I go for a formula which has some sweetness in it but not so sweet. I use formulas made by Abbott like Gain, which is also hypoallergenic, and infants really love it. It has just the right amount of sweetness in to it and it taste good.

18. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I didn't taste any bitterness from my kids' formula milk when they were still on bottle feeding way back then. Yes, I do taste the milk before I feed them because I want to be sure it wouldn't taste anything other than milk. I didn'y like how it tasted, too, but as babies, they like it. Well, it's baby's milk after all, haha. So let's stick to milk for adults.

19. Elsa

Good suggestion there, @kaka135 . Changing to a better tasting milk should be the best option because I really don't think formula milk should taste bitter.

20. Elsa

I agree with you about milk for toddlers as better tasting because I've tasted them, too. My kids loved it and wouldn't want to have anything to do with infant formula anymore after they've tasted the milk for older kids.

21. Elsa

True, not all baby foods are yucky. Some actually taste great :)