The Proper Birth Spacing

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Binu, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Binu

Binu Member

If you want to have a second child, what is the proper birth spacing? How many years do you actually need to wait to have the second child. Government's Maternity Program in our country promotes 5 years of birth spacing, however, 2-3 years is the most common birth spacing.

2. Decentlady

Decentlady Member

The female body needs 1 year post delivery to recover to its fullest. However, since the recommendation for breast feeding is 2 years minimum as per WHO, it is evident that a woman is in negative balance while she actively feeds.

Therefore, ideal spacing would be 3 years to start with.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

My opinion on the spacing of birth is 2 or 3 years for optimum advantages. The woman’s body is at ease at 2 years after giving birth so she is again ready for another pregnancy. As with the baby, a gap of 2 years is good since their age gap will not be much so the siblings can relate to each other. However, that small gap of 2 to 3 years between births is quite tedious for the parents. Think when the first child is 4 and the second is 2 years old and the mother gets pregnant again huh. That would be a problem in taking care of the children.

4. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Member

I go with @Alexandoy's suggestion to space the birth of another child to 2 or 3 years. Or it is much better if the gap is 3 to 4 years. I remember when I got married at the age of 21, I was still studying in college at that time. I didn't job to support my wife. I was depending from my father's meager income. I completed my college course and found a job in the bank. My 2nd child came after 4 years. Then followed by another child after 3 years. It is indeed a manageable to have a better spacing for your children.

Alexandoy likes this.
  5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Member

I don't have a baby yet but I am 6 years older than my younger sister after me and I guess that's good since my parents were able to spend plenty of time with me alone, and I as well enjoyed it. However, I think the ideal birth spacing should be 2 years so that the kids can still enjoy and understand their siblings because of a not so far age gap.

6. Mika

Mika Member

There is a difference of opinion on this particular topic. While most of us believe that a gap of 3-5 years is most suitable in between two kids which will enable parents to take best care of both the kids some others believe that one should have all their child at an early stage and grow them at the same time so you become free and think about your career and other things of life.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  7. ptahm22

ptahm22 Member

I have no children yet but my younger brother who is the last born in our family one and a half years younger than me. I know it's a weird spacing but my mum was working and it wasn't easy getting a maternity leave those days. I would prefer a 2-4 years spacing unless you need to make some exceptions.

8. Mika

Mika Member

I agree with you @ptahm22, as I too feel that a gap of 3-5 years in between two children is ideal for mother as well the kids. The first born understands most things by the time he is 4-5 so it is easy to handle him and devote more time on second one. Not only that but the first born also begins to take more interest in younger one and even helps in small things like sitting with him or playing with him.