Homemade Vs Store Bought Baby Food – Which Is Better?

Discussion in 'Blog Posts' started by Starlight Baby, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Starlight Baby

Starlight Baby New Member

2. Taliska

Taliska New Member

Is the other concern whether you catually have the facilities to make and store homemade babyfood? Some flats now have absolutely tiny kitchens or kitchenettes, and there simply isn't the space to work. Without a fridge it will go off very fast indeed, and for us homemade food turned into a false economy because we were either making it fresh every night, which takes away from time you can spend with your child, or throwing away a fair amount.

We ended up using store bought and then putting him onto softened versions of our food as soon as it was safe.

3. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Member

I remember my wife has used a baby food when our children were several months old until they could manage to eat solid foods. It is the product of Gerber. Later my wife has discontinued it and made her own baby food for our kids. At least she had saved money rather than buying the commercial baby foods. I may say that is affordable to prepare a homemade foods for the baby and it is, I think, more sanitary than that of the commercial one which you may not able to notice its expiry date and you have feed it to the baby.

4. firstcry

firstcry Member

I would not advocate packed baby foods as they contain preservatives. Some of them could be harmful for a baby in the long run. So whenever possible try to give him homemade food. In packed food as you know they always use chemicals as preservatives to increase its shelf life. It is understandable that otherwise they can't product it on a large scale.

I heard that some baby foods has ingredients that makes a baby over weight and parents use to be happy about it. But if your baby is over weight that doesn't mean that he is healthy. In fact it may adversely affect his health and immunity power. Homemade cereals made of rice, barley, oatmeal, ragi etc. are very good for the health of your baby. If your baby is 6-8 months old baked apple provides ideal vitamin boost for him.

5. kamai

kamai Member

I always made my own baby food as I find it healthier than store bought. Nothing is better than natural I think as packaged foods have added preservatives. I would just boil the vegetables and smashed them untill they were soft enough for my baby to swallow. She enjoyed them a lot and I was happy to know she was getting her nutrients naturally. I never bought any of the packaged foods for her untill she turned one, I bought her the kids apple sauce for the first time.