Shоuld kids wаtсh hоrrоr mоviеs?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by MariaJ, Jan 18, 2017.

1. MariaJ

MariaJ Member

Whаt is yоur оpiniоn?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
    Jason76 likes this.
  2. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

No, they shouldn't watch most of them beyond Stephen King ones. A lot of the stuff is gore and is inappropriate. Of course, if you happen to have Christian values, then you might not let your kids watch even Disney type horror because you would be opposed to the glamorization of witchcraft and the demonic realm. In fact, some of those parents won't let their kids even celebrate Halloween. Do you think they are going overboard?

Anyhow, parents who let kids watch Friday the 13th and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre :rolleyes: are very lazy parents with no values, even if it's true they appear to be morally tough on other matters.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Movies per se depends on the age of the child. I prefer to let the children watch movies on tv (whether it is a real movie or a teleplay) when they are already of school age. And the movies they can watch are those for children only. With horror movies, my age limit is high school age which means a child in grade school should not be allowed to watch horror movies. I remember my sister when she was in primary school, she would wet her bed when she had watched a horror movie on tv. And although she loved horror, she was always screaming and easy to be scared.

Even as an adult, I do not enjoy watching horror movies because it is either I don't believe the horror scenes or I get scared - in both instances, I don't enjoy so why watch?

4. remnant

remnant Member

Kids
    should
    not
    watch
    horror
    movies
    as
    theyare
    underpinned
    by
    decadent
    themes
    violence
    which
    embed
    into
    their
    sub
    conscious.
    I
    would
    vouch
    for
    documentaries
    and
    education
    programs.

nangk08 likes this.
  5. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is not just horror but sheer cruelty and disgusting even for adults. No child should watch that kinds of 'filthy, raw and bloody' movies.

Mild kind of horror, if the child is interested shouldn't be harmful but if the child starts dreaming about it then it's better avoided as it is making a strong impression on his/her mind.

6. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

I agree that children should not watch horror movies, not even thriller and violent movies since it will stick with their subconscious and it will start to create fear out of them. Children tend to remember mostly everything especially if they've watched it. If they are not aware that scary things exists, I don't think that they'll ever know fear, and it will help them to be brave :)

7. tony

tony Active Member

I wouldn't allow my kids to watch horror movies. Kids sometimes while they play like to in some ways demonstrate or practicalize what they watch on the screen. I can't imagine what they are going to come up with if they try do such after watching a horrible movie. I think we should keep their innocent minds away from such scenes.

8. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

I don't think they should watch scary and brutal movies like Chucky but spooky shorts are fine, I think. My little sister always watches scary short films with me on YouTube without gore. Those short films just have a slight jump scare here and there but absolutely no gore or death (even though death is sometimes symbolized) and she sleeps fine and forgets about the film because there weren't any scarring images to remember from them.

9. HeatherDavis

HeatherDavis New Member

10. to7update

to7update Active Member

No way I'd allow my kids to watch horror movies, they would be terrified and most likely they would be afraid to sleep at night. My younger kid, who is 7, sometimes tells me that even certain songs give him nightmares lol, poor thing, so he is really sensitive and he is still afraid of the dark and some other things. I personally hate horror too.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I concur with everyone else on here and I don't think that horror movies are suitable for children. Children have vivid imaginations and are more impressionable than adults so what they watch is going to stick in their memories a lot longer than it would an adult. As they get older than I would start introducing them to more films of different genres but at an early age horror films can have a long lasting impact on them and as parents I don't think any of us would want that.

Imagine trying to get your child to sleep after letting them watch an horror film. I'm not even sure why a parent would even contemplate that and while I appreciate that every child (and parent) is different, I'd imagine that this is one thing that most of us would agree on no matter how mature your child is for their age.,

12. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

A kid's mind is like a blank paper and watching something that can disturb their minds can have long term impact on them. Watching horror movies can have negative effect on them. If they continue to watch horror / gore videos chances are that they develop some kind of unknown fear and may become introvert.

It is better to feed their minds with positive thoughts and happy moments so that they enjoy every moment of childhood. Moreover, today's kids are tomorrow's responsible citizens so it is our responsibility to ensure healthy minds in them.

13. Mika

Mika Active Member

I don't think kids should watch any movie and horror is the last in my list. I would allow my child to watch a few kids' related shows for a limited period and that's about all. I think the movies in general make an impression on kids' mind and horror movies certainly are not the best choice for them anyways.

14. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

No way! This type of film is definitely not suitable for children (even for many adults, to be fair). Of all genres, I think it's the worst for the kids. Unfortunately, the power of the media is too great and the children are with their minds in the making. We must fill their minds with good/great/excellent examples.

Don't get me wrong, I love horror movies (I'm a great fan of this movie genre), but they really are not for kids.

15. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

That sounds like a pretty bad idea. I am sure that there might be some kids versions of some lightly spooky movies, but anything with the gore or things like that I would keep far far away.

16. Anupama

Anupama New Member

I don't think that kids should watch horror movies. I don't allow my kids to watch them nor encourage anyone in my joint family to watch in front of my kids. Kids should stick to their normal cartoons and Disney movies. It is better for them to go to sleep thinking of fairies and princesses etc. than ghosts and murders etc. It does not have a good impact on their mind.

17. to7update

to7update Active Member

Kids are disconcerting, that is the fact. Horror as it is, of course not, but even so they are afraid of some TV contents and even horror stories. Just the other day my younger one was afraid something on TV, but the older one explained him something else and he was no longer afraid, LOL. I wish I could still speak that child language, I am feeling somewhat left out. :)

18. mildredtabitha

mildredtabitha Member

I think kids should not watch horror movies until a certain age.Children who are exposed to horror movies at an early age may find it hard to sleep.They sometimes have a lot of nightmares and this can affect them.

Alexandoy likes this.
  19. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Kids aren't ready yet to watch horror movies. We know they are afraid of it but the main point is not to develop among themselves fear for it will affect personality someday.

They should have to develop or gain values first of courage, self-confidence and independence as they grow. When they're in their appropriate age, they may allow to watch that kind of movies.

20. Alexandoy

I agree with the nightmare. But the worst part is getting the bed wet because of the fright from the horror scenes of the movie. But generally I find some parents allowing their children to watch horror movies because they say that the kids will be brave with the reality. I really cannot come to terms with that because when a kid is afraid he cannot fight the fear just like that.

21. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

No way! The kids are still not aware of so many kinds of feelings and they are still learning to cope with social and interpersonal skills. Horror is something that is way to heavy for them to process and who needs to put fear of unknown and undefined into their minds at such a young age!

22. tyche

tyche Active Member

I don't see anything wrong with kids being allowed to watch horror movies, as long as it follows the assigned rating, so PG-13 horror movies are obviously not suitable to younger kids, so parents must supervise what their kids watch.

23. Alexandoy

My sister was in grade school when she had seen the movie Exorcist in a Betamax tape. My mother was angry at the classmate because my sister had nightmares for several night. I guess it also depends on the child because some children has the tendency to live the movie in their minds and some just ignore the movie after watching.